GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SPM MK6 GTI Cat-Back Exhaust Review [Pictures & Video]

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Disclaimer:
In NO WAY am I trying to advertise this company or product. I am only trying to provide my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed in my own car.

This review is a bit overdue but I felt I had to. Enjoy!

Before Purchasing The SPM Exhaust:

Prior to purchasing the car and until I settled for the Steve Petty Motorsports exhaust I researched, read articles, and watched countless numbers of MK6 GTI exhaust videos on YouTube. That was probably the hardest part of making my decision. The fact that I could not hear every exhaust I was considering in person made the decision very difficult. I had a pretty good idea of what it was I was looking to get out of the exhaust and came up some requirements to help the process.

My Requirments:

Something that sounded aggressive when opened up, but at cruising did not make your ears bleed.
Something that had a decently deep tone to it and not so much of a raspy high pitch sound.
I fell in love with the dual muffler look, so I wanted that as well.
I wanted 3-inch piping through out the entire system.
I wanted something that was going to last and not look like crap after one winter here in New York (side note: a buddy of mine who has a Magnaflow cat back has already started getting a decent amount of surface rust after only two winters).
I also wanted an exhaust where the axelback section was a single piece.

What I was considering.

There is a ton of exhausts out there and a number of ones that sound great and look great. I had a handful of ones that I was considering and really focused my research on.

Here is a list of the ones that I was considering.

Magnaflow
Billy Boat
42dd Magnaflow system (mainly because it comes as one piece from them)
Eurojet
Steve Petty Motorsports

After watching the same YouTube videos countless times, and reading as much as I could on the longevity and quality of each of those on my list I narrowed it down to two exhausts. The final two were the Billy Boat exhaust and Steve Petty Motorsports exhaust. For the most part the look of these two exhausts are pretty close. So what are the differences? Well for one the price. The Billy Boat Catback Exhaust comes in from ECS (as of right now while writing this) at $1,044.65 and the SPM Street Exhaust Cat Back comes in at $709.80. That’s a decent difference when you’re not looking to blow the bank on an exhaust.

The Decision:

After about a month of going back and forth between both of these exhausts I had made my decision of going with the SPM Street Catback Exhaust. Below is the description straight from the Steve Petty Motorsport website about the exhaust.

"MK6 GTI 2.0T Stainless Steel 3-inch "Street Edition" Catback Exhaust
The 2.0T "Street Edition" Catback Exhaust System features a high flow design that utilizes chambered and drone reducing mufflers that maintain optimal performance and sound without sacrificing power and performance. We've meticulously designed a series of mufflers that not only aggressively enhance the OEM sound of your 2.0T, but gives your car the fit and finish that it demands. The sound, performance, and appearance of our systems are unmatched.

Our corrosion resistant T304 stainless steel and TIG welded construction enables our exhausts to withstand the test of time, rain, sleet, salt, and any other element you can throw at it.

Our IDS system is completely interchangeable and enables you to effortlessly change out individual components and upgrade your system for sound or performance or for the street and track.

SPM Guarantee System Features-
Aircraft grade T304 stainless steel
.0065 wall thickness, 3.0" inside diameter
Ported and polished flanges with flow-matched connections
Robotically pulsed TIG welded systems
Interchangeable quick release V-banded design
Brushed matte finish for increased resistance to oxidation and corrosion
Standard O2 provisions and fittings"​

I ordered the exhaust and it came within that week from their facility in West Virginia. I had very high hopes for the product and felt I had made the best decision by going with their product. So Friday arrived and my buddy texted me telling my goods have arrived, so I left a tad bit early from work so I could install it that day.

My Dog Watching To Make Sure Nobody Stole it =)

Unboxing the Exhaust:

So the unboxing happened pretty quickly after I pulled in the driveway. Everything was there and my high hopes had been shattered in aw. This thing looked amazing. When you say pictures do this exhaust no justice, I am not exaggerating. You could tell that this exhaust was built with quality, looks, longevity, and performance in mind. Everything was bubble wrapped to ensure no "whoopsies" happened during the shipping process. Below are some initial pictures from when I first took the exhaust out of the box.

The Install:

The install is pretty straightforward and took about an hour and a half in the driveway. I found that connecting the axel back to the mid muffler before going under the car with it made it easier. The V-Band clamps can be a little tricky at first but they do fit and clamp down properly. The hardest part about the install was getting the stock exhaust sleeve off because of the surface rust. I had the car for about 5 months and it went through one decently rough winter resulting in a good amount of surface rust. If I did it all over again I would have ordered a new OEM exhaust sleeve instead of putting the original one back on. The bolts for it sucked and were basically shot, and new ones were needed. In order to get the exhaust sitting evenly out of the back try your hardest to get the connecting points lined up near perfect inside the V-band clamps. If they are not it could result in a bit of an offset.

The Finished Product:

I was like a fat kid in a candy shop when this thing was done. It sounded awesome, looked awesome, and I couldn't have been happier. Well I could’ve, and that is why I purchased the track mid muffler about a month or so later. I loved the full street catback but I kept saying to myself I wanted it a little louder or I thought it would be a little louder. So I bought the Track Mid Muffler and the install of that took about 30 minutes by myself, thanks to the V-Band Clamps. Started it up and now I was feeling like I couldn't be happier. The car had the perfect sound, exactly what I was looking to achieve out of it.

Final Thoughts:

Would I recommend this exhaust to someone? Absolutely. The customer service and people over at SPM are great and a pleasure to deal with. I have had the exhaust now for 6 months and has shown no sign of surface rust and looks exactly the way it did when I first unboxed it. The exhaust is very wallet friendly and being wallet friendly did not mean a decrease in quality. If anything I would say the quality of this product is better than those at a higher price point. I plan on ordering their downpipe once the weather here in New York allows for me to get out there and install it without freezing to death. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps those who are looking for an exhaust!

SPM Info:

Phone Number: 1-304-885-4311

MK6 GTI Street Cat Back Exhaust

MK6 GTI Custom Exhaust

Frosty631

Ready to race!
sub'd

nice review! been eyeing SPM exhausts for awhile now, looks beautifully done.

Thank you! It sure is. I couldn't be happier with the product. It's a great exhaust for the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosty631

Ready to race!
why so many boxes for a catback? what other goodies you got there?

sway bars and BBK?

Sway bars and springs =) Only the bottom box was the actual cat back.

Tyler@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
Great review OP - Thank you for sharing your experience with SPM...Some nice parts you bought there, those four boxes = whole new car! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, thank you.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
can i request some larger pics please?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
My SPM catback is probably the highest quality piece on my car. It makes my APR downpipe look like shit.....
Best value on the market for sure, but that goes for most of SPMs parts anyway.

Josh@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
My SPM catback is probably the highest quality piece on my car. It makes my APR downpipe look like shit.....
Best value on the market for sure, but that goes for most of SPMs parts anyway.

Thanks for the kind words, Paul. Get a hold of me, let's get you some brakes.

Frosty631

Ready to race!
can i request some larger pics please?
:thumbsup: Those were actually taken with my iPhone. I did not expect them to be that big when I uploaded them lol.

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Just shot a video of the sound! I'll be uploading it soon

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Finally got a video of my exhaust!!! Did an inside and outside shot of it. Inside is a little noisy because I didnt have the GoPro mounted so well.

http://youtu.be/pampxmObzJ8