GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speeding ticket!! (rant...and a couple questions...)

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
Ok....I really need to vent right now. Coming home from a comedy show in Pasadena, just getting home. I took my mom's Q7 instead of my car.

Anyways, coming home, going a little faster than usual (about 80mph), about two exits before mine, all of a sudden a CHP on the side of the road turns on his lights and then his siren lights and pulls me over as I pass.

He was on the side of the road, LIGHTS COMPLETELY OFF, not even parking lights...NOTHING. And this stretch of road does not have street lights, so other than my headlights, pretty much just pitch black.

I was annoyed already, as I see this as a "shady" tactic. But what made me angrier was that the SECOND I turned my car on and left, the officer turned all of his lights off AGAIN...COMPLETELY!

Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?? Or better yet, is there any law/rule that mentions this? Perhaps a illegal speed trap?

Sigh...

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
Cops can do as they please

trickery or not... it works

though shutting their lights off when they pulled you over prob. isnt the brightest idea...

Hmm...that's sad to hear. I find that so...weak though. I wouldn't be as angry if he had just pulled up behind me, but just the way he did it was soooo incredibly sneaky. I mean...pitch black, no lights, even within the cover of some bushes :mad:

Ahh whatevers....can't even sleep now...so frustrated...

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
Illegal speed trap? Perhaps if they put a sign in the road 1/2 mile before the cop?

Tickets are just the fee we pay to enjoy the nice roads we have

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
Hmm...that's sad to hear. I find that so...weak though. I wouldn't be as angry if he had just pulled up behind me, but just the way he did it was soooo incredibly sneaky. I mean...pitch black, no lights, even within the cover of some bushes :mad:

Ahh whatevers....can't even sleep now...so frustrated...

next time start rolling things into his car, its pitch black.. he cant see ya

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
Ok....I really need to vent right now. Coming home from a comedy show in Pasadena, just getting home. I took my mom's Q7 instead of my car.

Anyways, coming home, going a little faster than usual (about 80mph), about two exits before mine, all of a sudden a CHP on the side of the road turns on his lights and then his siren lights and pulls me over as I pass.

He was on the side of the road, LIGHTS COMPLETELY OFF, not even parking lights...NOTHING. And this stretch of road does not have street lights, so other than my headlights, pretty much just pitch black.

I was annoyed already, as I see this as a "shady" tactic. But what made me angrier was that the SECOND I turned my car on and left, the officer turned all of his lights off AGAIN...COMPLETELY!

Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?? Or better yet, is there any law/rule that mentions this? Perhaps a illegal speed trap?

Sigh...

In the state of California Police and CHP are to have at least their dome lights or parking lights on by law at night IIRC not to sure though. But the problem you have to face is proving that the CHP officer didn't have his lights on. Did you have any witnesses with you.

Last edited:

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
I did some digging and I pulled this up.

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 40800-40808

40800. (a) A traffic officer on duty for the exclusive or main
purpose of enforcing the provisions of Division 10 (commencing with
Section 20000) or 11 (commencing with Section 21000) shall wear a
full distinctive uniform, and if the officer while on duty uses a
motor vehicle, it must be painted a distinctive color specified by
the commissioner.

You can argue that you could not see if it was a CHP because it was too dark. :iono:

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
DanSan said:
next time start rolling things into his car, its pitch black.. he cant see ya

Haha ok...well not PITCH black...but how about dark enough that you could only see as far as your headlights projected? :biggrin:

Anyways....I'm over it. I was tired, it was late, and I was just angry (really at myself), and just needed to vent.

gonyofam3 said:
I did some digging and I pulled this up.

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 40800-40808

40800. (a) A traffic officer on duty for the exclusive or main
purpose of enforcing the provisions of Division 10 (commencing with
Section 20000) or 11 (commencing with Section 21000) shall wear a
full distinctive uniform, and if the officer while on duty uses a
motor vehicle, it must be painted a distinctive color specified by
the commissioner.

You can argue that you could not see if it was a CHP because it was too dark.

Thanks for the tips, and no, I was the only one in the car.

But I thought about it some more...even if I were to argue his car was not visible, etc, it still comes down to the fact that I was speeding. It's not considered entrapment or anything since LEGALLY, a what appears to be an empty straight road isn't really coercion to speed....hehe :wink:

I'm over it, but thanks anyways for that tidbit :thumbsup:

bb8892

Ready to race!
wow... i was about to say... you can speed in a rabbit?!?!? but it was a Q7... sux bro....

bovice

Banned
Car(s)
Zamboni
they can do whatever.

ive seen an officer standing on an overpass, lasering the traffic on the freeway below him. then about two or three chp cars about an exit up. tag team style. (580west in oakland)

R Usagi

" Say Uncle "
Car(s)
'07 UG 2 Door
How funny that some people think there should be a "fair" way to catch someone breaking the law (even a minor traffic one, and we all speed, even cops). Anywho, you sped, got caught, got a ticket..... seems fair. And why the heck are you speeding at 1 or 2 am.... we all know thats when the bars close and the drunks are on the road in the state, I know I drive slower and more attentive at those hours.

The city cops here put their bikes in peoples driveways, behind signs, up on lawns to catch speeders (mainly school zones that have a problem with speeding), I see no problem with that, they got a job to do, and traffic violations are part of it.

mkvhitam

Ready to race!
It sucks but it really seems that we can't do anything about it. I really hope they would increase the speed limit (no chance i know). I mean who the hell drive at 65mph nowadays. 50 is my city speed average, highway it's usually 80-90mph.

But I heard that cops are usually more lenient with supercars. My friend told me a story of his friend who race his Lamborghini around 120, passing right in front of a cop and the cop just stands still. awestruck i guess. hahaha

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
How funny that some people think there should be a "fair" way to catch someone breaking the law (even a minor traffic one, and we all speed, even cops). Anywho, you sped, got caught, got a ticket..... seems fair. And why the heck are you speeding at 1 or 2 am.... we all know thats when the bars close and the drunks are on the road in the state, I know I drive slower and more attentive at those hours.

The city cops here put their bikes in peoples driveways, behind signs, up on lawns to catch speeders (mainly school zones that have a problem with speeding), I see no problem with that, they got a job to do, and traffic violations are part of it.

Yeah, I completely understand that. If you refer to my later post, I admitted it is my fault for speeding. I was at fault, and was simply angry (at myself mainly) and got caught up in the moment last night and was simply venting w/o thinking rationally. We are all guilty of that at some point in time, you can't deny it. But once again, I have thought about it more rationally (after sleeping through the night) and again, admit I am at fault for speeding.

But once again, I am OVER it. I sped, I got caught...MY FAULT :thumbsup:

oh, and speeding at 2am? I was just going home. And further details, there were no cars within 150 yd front/back of me

Last edited: