GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound quality on Stock Headunit vs. Navigaiton

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I keep seeing post here and on other forums with people stating how unhappy they are with the headunit that comes with the car. Does anyone know if the navigation headunit sounds any better or is it the same thing?

davesee

FIA GT Champion
Well, I've yet to hear a stock head unit on the gti, but from what ive heard it has some type of protection built in to cut the volume when too much bass is being played..

This is not the case with the navi head unit, I think it sounds pretty nice. Although I have a couple regrets by choosing the factory navi.. (Don't get me wrong, I really like the navigation - being a nice clean integration as opposed to an aftermarket unit - directions showing up on the readout between gagues and such) but when choosing the navi you loose mp3 playback capabilities) Also, I dont know how much youre into audio systems, but I miss my alpine deck, & nice speaker setup I had in my last car..I think by choosing navigation you're really choosing to have that unit for the life of the car.

Being so expensive, I dont think Im ever going to replace it with an aftermarket. My poor alpine is just sitting in my closet... ..just looking at me every morning ...all sad ...its soo sad :cry:

dmclone

Oval Champion
I really wish there was a way to stop the clipping because I think it would be a fine sounding HU without it.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
We ie europe prob get a different unit too you guys but our MFD2 unit is a bit better it also has the big advantage of having a line out pins that you can convert into a preout for an external amp.

scarymonsterguy

Drag Racing Champion
iv just recently discovered this lowering of the volume problem, its very frustrating. has anyone igured out how to fix it yet?

MKV6SPD

Oval Champion
I hate the lowering of the volume.Pisses me off when i drive so i just turn it down all the way and listen to the car.Atleast the engine sounds good

MKV6SPD said:
I hate the lowering of the volume.Pisses me off when i drive so i just turn it down all the way and listen to the car.Atleast the engine sounds good
Okay, if you're gonna talk about the Sound Clipping, do a search and rant in there, not here.

The OEM Headunit is great I must say. Not just that though, the speakers are great too. I've been to a DRIVE-IN movie with it and it sounded AWESOME! Perfect bass, great highs. You just need to find the right setup for you when you play the music. I have the Bass at 2 o'clock and Treble at 3-4 o'clock and don't go over volume 19. It all sounds the same after 18.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
I agree with the dude up there. The radio system sounds awsome to me. If you have clean factory cd,s it almost never cut the volume even if its pumped up with bass and all that jazz. Only time I notice is when one of my MP3 cd's with a not so good quality mp3 is being played. I love 150 songs on 1 CD. X 6