GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Something wrong with my Sport mode?

Hockey

Ready to race!
Whenever I start my car, after shutting it off in sport mode. The car always says it's in sport mode but has the lower RPM's when I drive like it's in Drive mode. I then press the drive mode button and switch back to normal then sport for it to work properly. Is this normal?

I have the 2015 GTI model.

JavaGreen94

Passed Driver's Ed
Whenever I start my car, after shutting it off in sport mode. The car always says it's in sport mode but has the lower RPM's when I drive like it's in Drive mode. I then press the drive mode button and switch back to normal then sport for it to work properly. Is this normal?

I have the 2015 GTI model.

Sport turns off when you turn of engine- have to put it into sport everytime. Normal

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The Drive Mode remains in Sport, but the transmission mode (D or S) restarts at D when you restart the car. You just need to pull the shift lever back to switch from D to S. No need to touch the Drive Mode button/settings.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
There's two sport modes: the one under your Driving Profile Selector, and your DSG's "S" mode that's activated by tapping backward on the shifter when in D.

When your car is in Normal driving profile mode, then you switch it to Sport, it puts the driver profile as well as the transmission in sport. But like said above, when you turn the car off, and back on, the trans will revert to D, though your Driver Profile will remain in Sport.

Sport mode in the transmission is pretty useless anyway so I don't really see the issue, but you're best off leaving the car in Sport driver profile mode and using the paddles/tiptronic to control your gears unless you want a TCU tune.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Really? I think it's useless. The only thing I use it for is coming to a stop without my brakes lol

Depends on your driving style and roads you drive. I love manual mode, but some roads I find S is better. The reason is I can focus solely on the road and braking without having to worry about shifting. If you were in a true race, you are correct it is kinda useless as it will rev past maximum horsepower.

Most people seem to find it useless or off-putting because of the fact it will shift in turns. Which, as most people were manual drivers before, they know this is a no-no. The reason it doesn't matter with the DSG is due to how it shifts. It releases one gear at the same time it engages the other, so there is no loss of power or traction like with a manual transmission.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
The Drive Mode remains in Sport, but the transmission mode (D or S) restarts at D when you restart the car. You just need to pull the shift lever back to switch from D to S. No need to touch the Drive Mode button/settings.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Exactly

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Really? I think it's useless. The only thing I use it for is coming to a stop without my brakes lol
Its glorious on the highway for passing cars when your feeling lazy and not wanting to shift.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I recently did the TCU DSG tune

I also thought Sport mode on the OEM DSG tune was useless. Overly aggressive. With the TCU tune, S mode is actually useful, not as aggressive and much smarter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I recently did the TCU DSG tune

I also thought Sport mode on the OEM DSG tune was useless. Overly aggressive. With the TCU tune, S mode is actually useful, not as aggressive and much smarter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm sick of waiting for my warranty to expire. I'm going Uni Stage 1+ ECU/TCU in the next few months. I want that trans tune so bad. Until I get that, I will continue to regret getting a DSG over a manual.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Yeah I'm sick of waiting for my warranty to expire. I'm going Uni Stage 1+ ECU/TCU in the next few months. I want that trans tune so bad. Until I get that, I will continue to regret getting a DSG over a manual.

Yea I am waiting for my warranty to go APR Stage II with TCU tune. I literally can't wait and its two more years. The Drive mode is akin to driving an ecobox, and the Sport mode makes me yell at the car, "fucking shift already I'm not at the Brickhouse."

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

I do recommend it. I regret waiting this long to get it.

I thought I could justify driving most of the times in Manual mode... Wrong!
Even in Manual mode, when not going WOT, there's a slight delay with the OEM TCU tune. This is now also gone