GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some rust appearing in both of the rear wheel wells – what to do about it?

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
A little heartbroken to discover some rust in both of the rear wheel wells when I was washing the car this weekend. I know this is not a unique issue based on searching the internet. Wondering what the best thing to do at this point. Would like to prevent it from getting any worse. What's the chances that VGoA would cover under rust warranty? For what it's worth, I live in Minneapolis, MN.

IMG_5759.jpg
IMG_5758.jpg
IMG_5760.jpg

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
my 2015 has the same thing to some extent. I picked off the loose paint/chip guard (the stuff that makes the rough texture there) , hit it with some iron remover to get rid of the rust, and went over it with touchup paint then clear coat. I did a couple layers of each.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
A little heartbroken to discover some rust in both of the rear wheel wells when I was washing the car this weekend. I know this is not a unique issue based on searching the internet. Wondering what the best thing to do at this point. Would like to prevent it from getting any worse. What's the chances that VGoA would cover under rust warranty? For what it's worth, I live in Minneapolis, MN.

View attachment 286236View attachment 286237View attachment 286238
Unfortunately, the lower leading edge of the rear wheel arch gets lots of punishment from road spray and winter road salt, and it‘s also quite vulnerable to stone chip impact damage from small stones trapped in the tyre treads being released at high speed while you’re driving. I doubt you’d be successful with a claim under the corrosion warranty as VW would say the corrosion was as a result of an ‘external influence’ so wouldn’t be covered under the warranty.

I‘d repair it as @akimmel has suggested before it gets any worse, or if you don’t feel confident doing it yourself, get a reputable body shop to repair it for you.

Nice alloys by the way 😎.