GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some repair advice

freedomweasel

Passed Driver's Ed
My fiance drives a 99 forester with around 130k on it. She got it around 100k or 110k. It's had a fairly large appetite for oil, so she keeps up with maintenance pretty well as a necessity.
She gets a blinking CEL the other day (misfire in subaru speak), and it idles like a angry bull. I scan, get a misfire in cylinder 4 code, she takes it in to the shop. We're expecting plugs, coils, etc, based on what the forester forums say, and my very basic knowledge.
Mechanic says the plugs, coils etc are all replaced, no change. The compression test doesn't look good on the misfiring cylinder. 2nd hand from her, they said she needs a new cylinder head. Yesterday she said head gasket and piston rings. ... Either way, $$$. The car is only worth a few thousand, but she loves it more than almost anything.
The mechanic himself said she'd be better off taking the cost of the repair and putting it towards another car.

Thoughts/advice? Neither of us make a ton of money, so suggestion of new/like new vehicle isn't a good one. If she got another car it'd likely have 80-90k miles on it at best.

Silver-Bolt

Ready to race!
Typically that is a solid motor. Previous owner must not have been good with up keep. I would look for a take out motor. Non-turbo Scoobie motors are pretty cheap and plentiful.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Typically that is a solid motor. Previous owner must not have been good with up keep. I would look for a take out motor. Non-turbo Scoobie motors are pretty cheap and plentiful.

This exactly. Would actually be cheaper than repairing the headgasket most likely. A fun weekend project too if you know some one with an engine hoist. Its really just basic hand tools to get that thing out of there. If the motor is tested and known to be good its just a matter of unplugging it, lifting it out, doing all that in reverse. Plus if you buy a complete motor to drop back in, you have a pile of spare parts to use off the old motor. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Good luck.