some 50mm 1.8 goodness

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
Nikon FTW

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI

my wife (on the left) and her best friend, which happens to be my best friend's wife. :)

silly:

danizer

im a fob
im still confused with the 386 sec exposure...i didnt know they go up that high...and such an awkward number...for a 386 sec exposure in somewhere with light wouldnt the pic end up white?

lol heres mine with a friend's 55mm F1.8 on my D3000

working on new piece in his "studio"

mike20t

Shaved Burger
Sorry guys its not 1.8 but 1.4........... oh yeah :p

I just picked up the nifty fifty 1.4..... lovin it

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
noob question alert.

Im looking to get a 50mm lens but not sure which one to get. Are all 50mm lenses Macro lenses? And also the lower the f-stop the better right? If that is correct then why is the EF 50mm f2.5 so much more than the 1.8?

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Are all 50mm lenses Macro lenses?
No. Or at least not all are really good macro lenses. Many lenses can do some degree of 'macro'. Some are just [way, way] better than others. 'Macro' is a relative term meaning the lens can focus up close. Not all 'macros' are created equal. The 50/2.5 macro is going to focus much closer than the 50/1.8. Oh, and it will be far sharper doing so.
And also the lower the f-stop the better right? If that is correct then why is the EF 50mm f2.5 so much more than the 1.8?
Lower the f-stop number, the 'brighter' the lens, the wider the maximum aperture. A f/1.8 is pretty damned bright, especially for the money. This is why the 50/1.8 is so popular. Nearly every manufacturer makes a 50 f/1.8-2.0 range lens and has since Christ was a child. The designs are pretty well paid for and so the lenses sell wicked cheap.

Bright primes are also great because they are relatively sharp stopped down a couple stops. Ie back it down to f/4-ish and see the magic.

Dude, just buy the EF 50/1.8. At $100, why not?