GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So my Buyback Offer just arrived, time to get serious about what to buy...

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i think you should do a few year old 335i

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
If you're looking to stay away from mundane, look past the 328 X-drive. Been driving BMW's for quite a while, and the newer 3 series leave much to be desired. Had a 2011 328i, and it was just eh. Very reliable though. The 535D is definitely a nice car, and the diesel has gobs of torque and decent mileage. Interior is also nice, but with electric steering, it has lost the feel of what BMW has been known for. Great road car though. The reason we have a 2009 550 rather than the newer bodied 5 series has a lot to do with how solid the car feels, and the fact we could still get a manual trans in it.
The Fiats have not had many favorable reviews, and reliability has been a problem. If you're looking for trendy, this would be it.
Golf R, A4/S4, A6 would all be decent purchases, and probably would be fairly fun. Focus ST is nice, but as you said, the interior feels cheap. I haven't driven a Mazda CX-5, but not a bad looking car, and they get decent reviews.
How many kids would you be lugging along? If you will use this car for any travel and have at least 2, get a smaller SUV. If it's mainly a commuter, get a sedan or compact as it will get you better mileage.
I think the S4 and the Golf R would be my choice, as they are well rounded vehicles that can give you a little of everything from driving enjoyment, AWD, and mileage.

Two kids, both teens, mostly local driving (we have a pathfinder for trips) and my daily commute. Thanks for the info on the BMWs and the Fiat; good stuff to know.

At this point I think I am mainly focused on the 535d if I can find a solid one, or I'll go Audi. I love my Golfs but honestly just thinking I want to mix it up a little.

Damagi; I did consider a 335i and I've been looking at them a little as well. I think my next 2-3 weekends will be spent in test drives so I can figure it out :laugh:

ben_m

Ready to race!
If you can do without the AWD, why not also look at a Mazda6. My brother in law has one. Very reliable and just about the same amount of cargo space as CX-5 (with 2nd row up). Fully loaded you can snag one for under 30K, that will leave you a few $$ to pick up a dedicated set of Winters.

Philimon

Ready to race!
Subaru WRX because it won't depreciate hard.

Audi/BMW _____ because it's pretty and nice to be in.

Mkvi R because it's depreciated and cheap bcause it's not pretty, but it will be a hatch and be a bit more interesting.

New R because it's the boss.

Focus RS ?

Greywolf

Passed Driver's Ed
T
Damagi; I did consider a 335i and I've been looking at them a little as well. I think my next 2-3 weekends will be spent in test drives so I can figure it out :laugh:

If you are looking at the 335i, definitely look at ones with the M Sport Pkg. Suspension is much better than base. That engine is pretty awesome too!

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks the Focus RS isn't worth the hype. Seriously, go sit in one and tell me you could be comfortable owning it. Personally, I'm good.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks the Focus RS isn't worth the hype. Seriously, go sit in one and tell me you could be comfortable owning it. Personally, I'm good.

I also dont believe in the hype for the RS.

I went in to test drive a focus ST before i got the GTI (also test drove a mazda speed3) and the ST was the most uncomfortable car i sat in. The seats were super small and tight. The mazda and gti were both comfy seats.

Hopefully the RS with their recaro seats are more comfortable... i have not been by a ford dealership in a long time.. i might go check one out eventually.

*Edit before you all call me a giant or a lard..

I was ~200lbs and 6 foot when i test drove. Im now up around 230lbs and still super comfortable in the gti.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

agreed

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Yep; never been a huge fan of the Fords as I said. I'm really leaning toward either an S4 or an A6 (3.0), probably 2013-2014 model for either.

Gotta go this weekend to test drive a few though and narrow the final choices down :thumbsup:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would be all for a 5.0 GT but they can't hold up to a Stage 2 MK7 GTI... so torn. I want that displacement, and to get away from VWs but it's the best bang for the buck right now.
Bu ya Vette.

They have so long of gears its ridiculous. My buddy has a ZR1 and it hits 69 in 1st gear.