GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smoke or Steam on WOT after Unitronic Stage 1

ekimwons

I have a 2007 FSI with about 90k miles. Just had a Unitronic stage 1 tune and happy with the results so far. Car is not throwing any codes since the tune, but I have noticed on hard acceleration (not every time) I will see a bit of a cloud of white (i think, definitely not black) smoke out the back.

It's possible this happened before but I didn't notice, not sure. Temperatures just dropped down to about 2 degrees C or 35F here in Montreal.

I have recently replaced the cam follower, put in a new DV, and always keep oil topped. I have not yet done the PCV since I bought the car used. Pulling dip stick causes rough idle right now.

I've searched the forum for smoke issues and the different colors. Someone told me this time of year, it could also be condensation coming out the back on WOT. Is this true?

I know the turbo may be leaking a bit of oil, but not sure how bad it is. I am adding a bit every couple weeks but not an insane amount.

Should I expect to need a new turbo soon? Replace PCV with latest revision? (ps what is the latest suggested revision for FSI?)

Thanks for any thoughts
Mike