GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smoke Factory at the track.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
This last bit doesn’t make any sense. There is a check valve in the OEM PCV that prevents air going from TIP to PCV. The purpose of the connection to the TIP is to both provide vacuum to the crankcase and vent crankcase pressure from blowby.

Speaking of which, OP, your method of adding a “catch bottle” was preventing the PCV from doing its job of venting crankcase pressure I would think... this could explain the smoke later on using that method.

If the PCV doesn’t vent, oil will get past your turbo seals, your upper timing cover, basically it will start coming out everywhere it shouldn’t and this will cause smoke. This happened with my VWR plate once it busted.

VW SSP 606, I was asking about pcv operating in post 6 of this thread and someone pointed me to that. It's translated from french so some of the wording is a little funny but you should be able to figure your way through it...you can find it by googling it. As far as the vent pointing the other direction, the document covers the whole EA888 gen 3 engine platform, so there are going to be slight variations here and there but it shows the basics of how it works just the same.

Not sure what to tell you other than standard internet research....it's best to consider the source and always "trust but verify". It sounds like maybe someone had just enough knowledge on a topic to be dangerous lol. Unfortunetely if incorrect things get repeated enough they can become 'facts'.

I've had mostly mazda and ford turbocharged engines in the past and their PCV system is quite different, but same principles/goals apply. Most systems have 2 separate vents on the crankcase somewhere, one connected to air intake pre turbo, and other to intake manifold and follow the same basic 2 way system design. VW/Audi just has this complex piece on top of the engine that does it all in one... it's pretty cool design I think, but obviously has issues with high boost and track driving.

I can't remember exactly the details of your issues but losing that much oil on track sounds more like an oil control issue... like the whole pcv plate vent area is getting flooded with oil from extended high rpm and/or cornering/braking, and then you're back on the gas and the blowby crankcase pressure has to force the fluid out with it.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Then it sounds like just straight up tons of blowby?

Yeah that seems to be what people are telling me but it doesn't make sense on account of good compression / leak down numbers as well as great power numbers at the dyno (I mean, you tell me if you think all those can be good but still have enough blowby to dump literes of oil out of the PCV).

Not to mention I don't have the issue with the OEM PCV on, only the known track issue with the OEM PCV. So I don't really buy the "excessive blowby" bit unless there's more I'm not understanding (which there always is!) CTS sent me their plate and I'm actually going to see if theirs does the same or not. USP claims any plate will have the issues I had.

Another theory is oil drain issues, possibly the oil isn't draining fast enough from the valve cover for some reason. Only time I've had oil drain issues is when the PCV wasn't venting properly though.

It's all a mess.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah that seems to be what people are telling me but it doesn't make sense on account of good compression / leak down numbers as well as great power numbers at the dyno (I mean, you tell me if you think all those can be good but still have enough blowby to dump literes of oil out of the PCV).

Not to mention I don't have the issue with the OEM PCV on, only the known track issue with the OEM PCV. So I don't really buy the "excessive blowby" bit unless there's more I'm not understanding (which there always is!) CTS sent me their plate and I'm actually going to see if theirs does the same or not. USP claims any plate will have the issues I had.

Another theory is oil drain issues, possibly the oil isn't draining fast enough from the valve cover for some reason. Only time I've had oil drain issues is when the PCV wasn't venting properly though.

It's all a mess.

I agree it can't be that much blowby. It would run like crap with that much blowby.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Have you redone the leak down test yet? How many miles on the block since the rebuild?
Not yet, 7-8k miles on build, leak down / comp test was done like 1k miles ago, maybe. Very recent. As soon as I have the turbo back I will be re-doing all of the tests.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I reached out to the FCP Motorsports peeps and they aren't sure exactly what the cars have and if/how it differs from OE. They said they will get back to me.

FRDRICE

Good to hear. I haven't had any issues with smoke at the track as of yet. I have the Spulen V2 kit on the car and have done 2 track days so far and quite a few trips to the mountains.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I reached out to the FCP Motorsports peeps and they aren't sure exactly what the cars have and if/how it differs from OE. They said they will get back to me.

I sent them the link to the Racingline site and they say their TCR system looks near identical except with a different catch can.

Good to hear. I haven't had any issues with smoke at the track as of yet. I have the Spulen V2 kit on the car and have done 2 track days so far and quite a few trips to the mountains.

Good to hear your Spulen V2 has worked so well! I need to hunt for one of these systems now I guess.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I sent them the link to the Racingline site and they say their TCR system looks near identical except with a different catch can.

Good to hear your Spulen V2 has worked so well! I need to hunt for one of these systems now I guess.

ECS sells it.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Lost 1 Liter in 45 min (3 sessions) the other day on the track.

I had noticed black smoke once after a hard turn. Mind you my eyes were on the rear view mirror like a hawk due to running in advance setting in my stock stage1 car (pretty cool feeling to have a new c8 or the new NSX or need for speed 370Z glued to your rear bumper - lol).. No flags or anyone else commenting. All hard turns are to the Right.

Per owners manual max consumption of 1L for every 1200 miles is considered normal.

So would loss of 1L under hardcore conditions across 60miles also be considered normal?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Lost 1 Liter in 45 min (3 sessions) the other day on the track.

I had noticed black smoke once after a hard turn. Mind you my eyes were on the rear view mirror like a hawk due to running in advance setting in my stock stage1 car (pretty cool feeling to have a new c8 or the new NSX or need for speed 370Z glued to your rear bumper - lol).. No flags or anyone else commenting. All hard turns are to the Right.

Per owners manual max consumption of 1L for every 1200 miles is considered normal.

So would loss of 1L under hardcore conditions across 60miles also be considered normal?

That is excessive. Also black smoke indicates a very rich condition. With 1 liter of oil burning in only 60 miles it seems like you would have a lot of white bluish smoke also.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Yea, that was the smoke i thought i'd keep my eye on, as i've had experienced it few times on autox. My bro didn't see any either on few turns throughout 2 sessions while his group wasn't running. And this was all just on stock PP brakes and PSS tires. I thought that maybe going sideways at one point, what seemed like forever, had something to do with it. Last time i recall being that sideways was in my e46 330 on snow, with all the nannies turned off. lol Will have to open and examine the pipes.