GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smallest Vehicle That Can Comfortably Tow 2000lbs?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
Looking to buy something to tow my pair of 3 seat Jet skis. They come in at around 700lbs each + the trailer (with 2 spare tires). Looking for the smallest possible vehicle at ~$20k that can do the job comfortably without straining the vehicle. Keep in mind that it must be able to pull them out of the water up the ramp as well.

mk6cruzen

Ready to race!
I don't think you will find a small car that can effectively pull both skis and a trailer out on a slippery launch. I speak from experince. Maybe a used all wheel drive Tiguan. You'll still get good gas mileage. However, it would be near the limit. A better option for two skis and trailer would be a Tacoma. My cousin gets 22mpg with his.

Sent from my phone with typos

DarkCloak

Banned
I have spent a lot of time towing boats out of ramps. I do not rec/d anything with front wheel drive. When you pull out the weight shifts to the rear (especially with the skis on the back). On a wet steep ramp this could really suck. I rec.d getting an old pickup truck or SUV. You can get one cheap for under $10k. An old Ranger or Pathfinder. Just make sure it is RWD or AWD.

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
I sold my jet skis when I traded my Colorado for my GTI. I once saw a Z3 pulling a jet ski down the highway and it was just ridiculous. Find an old Ranger for a couple grand or a beat up Jeep.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
doesnt the GTI tow about 2000lbs?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
6 cyl Wranglers are rated at 1500#s due to the Wheelbase FYI..

Candy11

Ready to race!
A subie looks like a good choice.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
On a flat surface I'd say yes. But on a wet ramp with front wheel drive? No way.

100% this! About 5 years ago my Jetta struggled pulling a 1200 pound boat/motor/trailer from the water. Power was no issue, but there was no weight on the front tires, it was pointed up hill, and the ramp was wet. It worked, but I never tried that again. I got a proper tow vehicle.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
Look at something like a 2000-2004 GM SUV. Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon etc. Probably be able to pick one up for around $12-14K.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
On a flat surface I'd say yes. But on a wet ramp with front wheel drive? No way. Plus you'd have the unaesthetic trailer hitch on the rear.

hidden hitches are pretty... hidden. We got one for my wife's car and now im considering it for the A3.

A subie looks like a good choice.

+1

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
Well there's a 75% chance I'm trading my GTI in on a Tiguan 4motion today.