GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Size of rubber

GTI2007

Hi, I'm planning to mount 9 x 19 wheels under my GTI and I'm having doubts between the normal look of 225/35R19 rubber and the wide look of 255/30R19 rubber. What should I take??

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
There's every chance of rubbing with 255 tyres. I don't know if the golf can handle that sort of width...

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
19's are too much. Do you want to lose all your handling and low end power or what?????????????????????? Besides they look cheap!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up and youll be on one of those unpimp your ride commercials.

GTI2007

Here in Europe everyone is placing 19" wheels on their MK5 Golfs and they really suit the car IMHO. We have very good roads here so we don't need to keep those small stock 17" wheels who have way to much rubber.

GTI2007

Like you really gonna loose all your handling and low end power by placing wheels that in reality are only 0.23" bigger but have a lot more rim and a lot less tire. IMHO the GTI looks much cheaper with the stock 17" wheels then with aftermarket 19" wheels.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
tydale3 said:
19's are too much. Do you want to lose all your handling and low end power or what?????????????????????? Besides they look cheap!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up and youll be on one of those unpimp your ride commercials.

Here's your educational lesson for the day:
The tiny change in total diameter for an 19" wheel with 30 series tires is not going to have ANY measurable effect on his cars "low end power". In addition in regards to handling. Yes it is true he will have ride comfort issues with 30-35 series tires, but as far as handling, this is much more dependent on suspension setup (i.e. ride height, coilovers, anti swaybar, etc) than the size of wheel he runs. Though the added weight of the 19's will have an effect.

Class dismissed.

Now to the OP. I think the 255's are way too wide. I like your plan of going with the 235s. You are gonna have way less rubbing issues. Also the ET45 does tuck into the wheel well, but not nearly as much as the stock ET51. You will have more clearance on the strut side of things though, unless you are going much wider than the stock rim width. Offset is such a funny confusing subject:wink:

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
gti=sexy said:
i think the "loss of power" being talked about is due to the weight diff between 17"s and 19"s. theres like an extra 5lbs per wheel of rotational mass, ew.

Depends. 19" Neuspeeds weigh in at 19 pounds. Stock 17" are much heavier than that. I think 24 pounds each

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
It's not just the total weight, it's also how the weight is distributed. The larger diameters have more of the weight out near the circumference(=more rotational weight).

A 26lb 17" wheel combo will accelerate faster than a 26lb 19" wheel combo even if they are the same diameters and widths.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
I think 19's look great on this car. If that's what you like I say go for it. I went with 18's because I needed to retain some level of ride comfort. My last car ran on a 35 profile and it was to rough... or maybe I am just getting to old.:laugh:

It's funny when people trip out about how much performance is lost when doing this or that to other peoples rides.