GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I chip the dsg?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
DubaiJohn said:
I agree with you and think that as a hot hatch the gti is miles better. I did test drive both and chose the gti.

But in the context of this question and the fact that we are wondering if DSG box can 1) take modding, 2)remain reliable and 3)up to what level will it be reliable. It would be good to know if the DSG box in both cars is the same. If It is then modding the gti up to the bhp/torque levels of the R32 should cause no long term reliability issues.

To my understanding the DSG used in the GTI and the R32 is the same unit. This is one of the reasons that there is no R36 (or whatever); the DSG unit that fits in the MkV Golf cannot handle the 3.6 engine, but the 3.2 is not a problem.

On an aside, I too drove both cars (by this point I'd had my GTI for maybe a year?) and whilst the R32 was great fun, acceleration like a rocket thanks to that 4-motion... it just seemed a little bland, a little uninspired. When I'm spending so much cash on a car I want it to have character... and (thanks partly to its history) the GTI has it in spades, whereas IMO the R32 comes off as bland and generic (sorry MkV R32 owners!)

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
There you go peeps. Both those last to thread responders are running more torque and perhaps more hp in their GTI's than the R32 does. So you'll at least get away with that much modding. Any more and you best make it a rear wheel or all wheel drive. Which adds up to you shouldn't have got the GTI in the first place. Front wheel drives can only put so much power to the pavement. I mean this in a nice way and hope it doesn't come across wrong:respekt:

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
kirk180 said:
There you go peeps. Both those last to thread responders are running more torque and perhaps more hp in their GTI's than the R32 does. So you'll at least get away with that much modding. Any more and you best make it a rear wheel or all wheel drive. Which adds up to you shouldn't have got the GTI in the first place. Front wheel drives can only put so much power to the pavement. I mean this in a nice way and hope it doesn't come across wrong:respekt:

that is exactly what my point is, thank you:wink:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
kirk180 said:

Well said :clap:

Whilst you get people like Oetingger doing their 300bhp conversions and all that, I really wouldn't want all that power through my front wheels.
My car is producing slightly less BHP than an R32 - and frankly, I wouldn't want any more. The driveability is still excellent, and I fear that more power through the front wheels could upset the delicacy of the drive.

There's a reason why you won't find any FWD Porsches :wink:

damo

Oval Newbie
DubaiJohn said:
I think a good thing to find out would be if the DSG in the gti is exactly the same as the DSG in the R32. The R32 pushes 250ps and 236lb/ft(320nm).

If so you would have thought that modding the gti to these levels would give no reliability problems at. In fact you would have thought that VW would have allowed for the fact that R32 is gonna be modded to at least 300ps.

What do you think? Also anyone know if the 2 'boxes are the same?
Guys there are 2 deisels that put out more torque the the GTI,

Golf 2L TDi = 103kw + 320nm

Golf 2L TDi = 125kw + 345nm

Do you think the GTI has a DSG box in it that is below these 2 in standard, I don't think so.:thumbdown: And before we all say they have bugger all hp, its usually torque that breaks boxes.

GTI2007

damo said:
Guys there are 2 deisels that put out more torque the the GTI,

Golf 2L TDi = 103kw + 320nm

Golf 2L TDi = 125kw + 345nm

Do you think the GTI has a DSG box in it that is below these 2 in standard, I don't think so.:thumbdown: And before we all say they have bugger all hp, its usually torque that breaks boxes.

Not to be picky but the 125 kW (170 HP) TDI engine, that is mounted in the GT, has 350 Nm torque, not 345.

damo

Oval Newbie
GTI2007 said:
Not to be picky but the 125 kW (170 HP) TDI engine, that is mounted in the GT, has 350 Nm torque, not 345.
Whats a measly 5nm between friends:smile: Anyway thats my point they can handle the torque but the GTI can't, please dont embarass me.