GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting Manual 08 GTI

Maximum6

FASTER
Always Stickshift from now on...after I've tried out DSG for almost 2 yrs.

Very boring.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
I'm not sure if this is in the GTI manual, but mine gave a list of RPM's to shift at for each gear for either max performance or max economy. Maybe check that also?

Marky-Mark007

Stig's American Brother
Car(s)
2007 Black Magic GTI
Just listen to the engine. You shouldn't need the tach unless you're redlining it or shifting for extreme economy. It doesn't matter where you shift, so long as you are smooth and happy with how you shift.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
you can shift anywhere in the rom you want...that's the beauty of a manual.

However, if you shift too early you might stall out. With the dsg anywhere over 1,500 rpm and it shifts fine, the higher the revs, the more fun you can have, but the more gas you burn, so basically shift when you feel you need to shift. :thumbsup:

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
What is the best time to shift too maintain the life of your car in a flat road scenario with minimal traffic, from lets say a stop sign assuming you came to a complete stop. (Just driving casually on the streets)

Someone told me when you feel your engine straining, but it starts at 4-5krpms in first gear... Doesn't make sense, he said too because its a sports car.... I was also told by someone else to shift at around 3k and into second at around 2k regardless of how the engine sounds. One other person said that you should shift out according too speed- 10-15 into second and so on..

Just looking for some basics, just bought my first car and I need to learn too drive it casually in order to keep it living, although its a lot more fun hearing the turbo go off :X

He wasn't insulting your English it was the post above his. It was something like "so how if I don't feel like when to shift?" or something close to that. It made no sense really.

SagOisaTREE

Ready to race!
Kinda depends. If I'm just casually driving i shift at 2500 for everything. If I get stuck at a light in traffic and have a line behind me I usually hold out until 3k just so I get going a little quicker as to not piss everyone off.