Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf GT
what is the mileage for longlfe service and the standard servive

Longlife = approx 20,000miles/every two years dependant on use
standard = 12,000miles or 12 months

pipehose

ROCKET R32
whats the diffrence between the two dude?

looked in my service manual and they seem to be checking the same things?

craig

it seems the longlife oil is for 20000 mls in all fairness i think this is fine for the standard car ie the diesel and low reving petrols not a v6 r32 golf
ps just my thoughts on it
il be getting mine serviced at 12000 mls

Teutonic_Tamer

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted
Car(s)
07 Golf Mk5 GTI DSG
The LongLife oil is a much higher spec oil than the standard stuff.

For the high performance cars, I would personally recommend using the LongLife oil, but changing to the fixed interval time and distance servicing.

curlywint

Yeah its the oil specification what is different. My mates have got a garage and buy their oil for VW's from VW themselves and the stuff for the time distance service regime is only good for 10k, whilst the longlife oil can last up to 30K or 2 years according to VW depending how you drive, which is where the ECU is able to monitor the oil condition through an oil sensor

Teutonic_Tamer

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted
Car(s)
07 Golf Mk5 GTI DSG
Yeah its the oil specification what is different.

Agreed. But it isn't just a "different" specification - the LongLife oil has an additional specification, over and above the standard time/distance oil, namely the HTHS rating. That basically means the LongLife oil has an additional test specifcation standard to a much higher temperature rating, meaning it is ideal for the very high temperatures developed in the turbo charger bearings.

My mates have got a garage and buy their oil for VW's from VW themselves and the stuff for the time distance service regime is only good for 10k,

Worrying, though, is that there are three "contracted" suppliers to VAG workshops: Castrol and Shell are fine, as they both produce a pukka LongLife oil, but those with the Mobil contract, don't actually have a genuine LongLife oil !!!

whilst the longlife oil can last up to 30K or 2 years according to VW depending how you drive, which is where the ECU is able to monitor the oil condition through an oil sensor

Agreed. The combined oil level and quality sensor is fitted to all engines capable of LongLife, and the readings from it are only used if the service due is actually programmed for LongLife. Unfortunately, the oil sensor isn't particularly reliable. On my B6 S4, the oil level warning light didn't actually display until the actual level was well below the minimum - not good! :eek: