GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

searching for an ultrawide

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
so for about a month I've been looking for some sort of ultrawide. I've been hesitant becsuse they are all APS-c specific so spending $500-600 on a lens that may not work on a full frame body (plan to get one eventually) is hard to swalllow. Anyway I think I've found what I'm going to buy.

The tokina 116 ATX. It's 11-16 mm f2.8. Built off their 12-24 lens that is f4. They look pretty much the same. Reviews seem to all be glowing. Availability in north America isn't known yet but damn sweet glass

peterrabbit

ima eat yo family
i took this picture with my rectified fisheye with a VDDL tactical converter. never mind the subject matter. look at the corner where the lines meet the photog horizon. it's gold.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
so for about a month I've been looking for some sort of ultrawide. I've been hesitant becsuse they are all APS-c specific so spending $500-600 on a lens that may not work on a full frame body (plan to get one eventually) is hard to swalllow. Anyway I think I've found what I'm going to buy.

The tokina 116 ATX. It's 11-16 mm f2.8. Built off their 12-24 lens that is f4. They look pretty much the same. Reviews seem to all be glowing. Availability in north America isn't known yet but damn sweet glass

I've got the 12-24mm f4 and it is a great piece of glass. I am sure the 11-16 will be the same and f2.8 makes me tingle. What are they going for, the 11-16mm?

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
they retail for around 500...they probably wont be released till mid june. i say go with the 12-24 f/4..good focal range and probably one of the best third party UW's on the market right now.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
I've got the 12-24mm f4 and it is a great piece of glass. I am sure the 11-16 will be the same and f2.8 makes me tingle. What are they going for, the 11-16mm?

about $600 from what i've found so far up here probably $500 or less down there. i'll probably get it from sigma4less or bh photo/video when i finally bite the bullet.

rockwell says it's better then the nikkor 12-24 and the review speaks for itself...http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
about $600 from what i've found so far up here probably $500 or less down there. i'll probably get it from sigma4less or bh photo/video when i finally bite the bullet.

rockwell says it's better then the nikkor 12-24 and the review speaks for itself...http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

We'll see how long it takes for a photo snob to come in here and shoot down Ken Rockwell...lol...

Anyway, that is a fantastic price considering I paid about the same for the 12-24mm. It's worth it for the speed of the glass in my opinion. I wonder what that lens is going to do to the resale of the 12-24mm....I should sell it now...lol

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
We'll see how long it takes for a photo snob to come in here and shoot down Ken Rockwell...lol...

Anyway, that is a fantastic price considering I paid about the same for the 12-24mm. It's worth it for the speed of the glass in my opinion. I wonder what that lens is going to do to the resale of the 12-24mm....I should sell it now...lol

i don't really like him that much but he does good reviews on equipment and doesn't seem to drink too much of the nikon koolaid. it the nikon 17-55 is anything like the canon 17-55/18-55 i can see why he doesn't like it.

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
I like his lens test comparisons. The images are right there for you to compare. As well as all the bells and whistles for each. Bias or not, they are a good source of information IMO.

And the 17-55mm 2.8 is expensive as hell when basically all you are getting over the 18-55 is 1 stop. I think that's what his gripe with it was iirc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back on topic: I like the looks of the tokina and at 500 bucks the price is right. I really like the finish on the tokina too. It makes it feel a lot more rugged, not that I treat it that way..lol, than my nikon glass.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
I like his lens test comparisons. The images are right there for you to compare. As well as all the bells and whistles for each. Bias or not, they are a good source of information IMO.

And the 17-55mm 2.8 is expensive as hell when basically all you are getting over the 18-55 is 1 stop. I think that's what his gripe with it was iirc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back on topic: I like the looks of the tokina and at 500 bucks the price is right. I really like the finish on the tokina too. It makes it feel a lot more rugged, not that I treat it that way..lol, than my nikon glass.

that's pretty much his gripe...and it's the same thing with the canon versions. designed for aps-c but the 17-55 is like $1000. where the 18-55 kits lens though not 3.5 through the full focal length i think it's 3.5-4 or 3.5-5.6 can't remember. i hated it anyway. just not a useful range.

i looked at the 12-24 f4 yesterday and thought i had read about an 11-16 f2.8 and when the guy didn't want to deal i left it. came home did a little searching and found it. it's about $630 taxes in from BH photo haven't searched for it but i will once it's been released. rockwell noted although it is designed for aps-c it will work somewhat on the full frame which is nice. it will complement the 17-40 f4L i'll get once i go full frame

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
11mm on a FF...thats some WIDE shooting right there lol. you may see some problems with vignetting at that wide of an angle.
yeah in the review he mentioned at 13or 14 it started but the fact it's usable makes me feel better about spending the $$ on it :)

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
came in stock today at BH photo. ordered around noon hope to have it for the weekend.

ballin. now ui just need to get good at photography :)

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
picked it up today. 11mm is soooooo sweet

2 very quick clicks. i think the camera was on Av and i just turned it on and clicked.

i'll call the second one angry dragon:23:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_9090.JPG
    IMG_9090.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 303