GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

scheduled maintenance

bentmetal

Ready to race!
Hey guys my GTI is telling me to book a service in 1000KM, right now I'm at 23 000KM, but I looked in the owners manual and my next service is supposed to be at 32 000 km. What the deuce is going on? I don't want to have warranty issues just because I missed a service that doesn't exist according to the owners manual haha. Thanks in advance for the help.

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Hey guys my GTI is telling me to book a service in 1000KM, right now I'm at 23 000KM, but I looked in the owners manual and my next service is supposed to be at 32 000 km. What the deuce is going on? I don't want to have warranty issues just because I missed a service that doesn't exist according to the owners manual haha. Thanks in advance for the help.

That's referring to getting your oil/oil filter changed. That should be done every 8000km. The intervals in the manual cover the oil change at that time(24000+8000=32000)plus other "recommended" services. Most are just BS checks they want to charge you for, but some should be done, like brake fluid, DSG service, spark plugs, etc. Just go through it and use your common sense and you can pretty much figure out what's really needed along with your oil change at those major intervals, and what's not.

athflying79

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe it's because the dealer didn't reset it correctly. I have 17,800 miles and am not scheduled for service till 20,000 miles, but my MFD has been warning me since 14,000 miles to bring it in. The first 2 oil changes are at 5,000 then 10,000 after that.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
You don't need to follow the manual down to the km. Every 8k kms, get an oil change (your MFD will tell you when its due, or track it yourself). When you get close to one of the major intervals in the manual, plan on taking it in to get the additional things done such as plugs, filters, fluids, etc.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Speaking of plugs, what's the opinions on this? They're still platinum, right? Or does the higher compression ratio warrant changing them more often than in the past?

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Speaking of plugs, what's the opinions on this? They're still platinum, right? Or does the higher compression ratio warrant changing them more often than in the past?

I change mine every 32k kms. Just your standard NGK BKR6E copper plugs, cheap and easy to DIY. I just did them last night actually :thumbsup:

If you really wanted to prolong plug life you could go with NGK Iridium plugs, but for the added cost its really not necessary.