GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Running a 235 tyre on a 225/45/17 wheel.

isaw84

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI
cheaper rubber, 235 is a more common size (eg commo/falcon).
more rubber on the road = more latteral grip.

downsides, more bluge, sidewall flex, possibility of eating corners/edges of tyres.

Last 2 sets I'm run were 235/45/17's on stock denvers (17x7.5) and have been fine. they almost corrected the speedo too ;) but run about 2% less on the odo.

And the 225/45/17 isn't the wheel, its just the size of the rubber thats currently on there. the wheel will be 17x7.5. 235's are best suited to 8" and 8.5" but will work fine otherwise.

ml16

I got told by a tyre shop that they would NOT put 235/45/17 tyres on the standard GT sport wheels. They deemed it illegal and it wouldn't fit, so they would only do 225/45/17 for me.

My question now, will a 7.5" wide wheel support a 235/45/17 easily? or would an 8" wide wheel be better?

isaw84

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I got told by a tyre shop that they would NOT put 235/45/17 tyres on the standard GT sport wheels. They deemed it illegal and it wouldn't fit, so they would only do 225/45/17 for me.

My question now, will a 7.5" wide wheel support a 235/45/17 easily? or would an 8" wide wheel be better?

you got had.
perfectly legal. (correct me here in need be!) My understanding was it had to be within 2.5% of the rolling diameter?
they make more on 225's so they were taking you for a ride.

An 8" will be better as you wont get as much bulge, and this less moving around, but I've never had a issue with eating a corner out or uneven wear.

ml16

you got had.
perfectly legal. (correct me here in need be!) My understanding was it had to be within 2.5% of the rolling diameter?
they make more on 225's so they were taking you for a ride.

An 8" will be better as you wont get as much bulge, and this less moving around, but I've never had a issue with eating a corner out or uneven wear.

Yeah i figured that, might buy online from now on. Or go somewhere else which will do what i want.

Thanks for that.

Steve_GTI

Ready to race!
I replaced my standard 225 contis with 235 Khumo KU32s.
They are not the top end for performance, but they are very good.
I was not happy (family mainly) with the ride from the standard golf.
They definitely have a softer side wall and you can feel that when you push it into a corner but the grip is fantastic (after 500Km scrub in).
The 235s did not appear to bulge but you could notice the height difference.
At $170 per corner they were great value but if you want to track the car or push it to max on the street then stick to the 225s and go the F1s as everyone says they are the best.

ml16

235/45/17 in KU36 would be cheap for daily/light track work, which is what i have in mind.

I would prefer a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel to mount them on, for less buldge (if there is any though?)