GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rough & low vacuum cold starts

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
we all get those low vacuum cold starts, loud ones too if you have CBFA but mine have been getting worse. normally it hovers around 10Hg until it settles out at 20 but the past few days and it climbs up the boost gauge closer to 0 each time. hell, today i was convinced she was going to hit 0 and go into boost somehow. the other day it even felt like it was back firing and would pop or hick-up.

only way im able to stop it is basically rev the motor which brings it higher into vacuum and it calms down completely and quiets down significantly. i do that for a solid 30 seconds or so to avoid this annoying cold start.

all spark plugs and coilpacks were replaced like less than 2k miles ago. i did put in a neuspeed motor mount insert which has definitely increased the issue (dont recommend, it makes the car vibrate like hell at slow speeds).

any ideas? motor mount is definitely coming out so they should help but they were still a little rough before that. came out of nowhere too

SoGonn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
we all get those low vacuum cold starts, loud ones too if you have CBFA but mine have been getting worse. normally it hovers around 10Hg until it settles out at 20 but the past few days and it climbs up the boost gauge closer to 0 each time. hell, today i was convinced she was going to hit 0 and go into boost somehow. the other day it even felt like it was back firing and would pop or hick-up.

only way im able to stop it is basically rev the motor which brings it higher into vacuum and it calms down completely and quiets down significantly. i do that for a solid 30 seconds or so to avoid this annoying cold start.

all spark plugs and coilpacks were replaced like less than 2k miles ago. i did put in a neuspeed motor mount insert which has definitely increased the issue (dont recommend, it makes the car vibrate like hell at slow speeds).

any ideas? motor mount is definitely coming out so they should help but they were still a little rough before that. came out of nowhere too

Hey whats up bro! I know we have diff. engines but my car started doing something very similar to this a couple of weeks ago after I put in my new plugs, at first I thought it was the new meth kit that was already screwing up my Throttle body, but then I scanned for codes and found P506 idle control system low, blah blah. I ended up doing a TB re-learn with my VAG-COM and and a couple of other output tests. I did this on Sat. night and so far its been gone for me so you might want to give that a try. Lmk know if you need the VAG cable!

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
Hey whats up bro! I know we have diff. engines but my car started doing something very similar to this a couple of weeks ago after I put in my new plugs, at first I thought it was the new meth kit that was already screwing up my Throttle body, but then I scanned for codes and found P506 idle control system low, blah blah. I ended up doing a TB re-learn with my VAG-COM and and a couple of other output tests. I did this on Sat. night and so far its been gone for me so you might want to give that a try. Lmk know if you need the VAG cable!

talking about the throttle body alignment huh?

SoGonn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
talking about the throttle body alignment huh?

yea I guess its worth a try. I know APR tunes come with that option so you might want to run that. I also did the readiness adaptation and gas pedal position. So I'm not entirely sure which one fixed it but it seems to be good, for now lol.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
yea I guess its worth a try. I know APR tunes come with that option so you might want to run that. I also did the readiness adaptation and gas pedal position. So I'm not entirely sure which one fixed it but it seems to be good, for now lol.

i only have 93 octane and stock on my APR flash.

Code:
Throttle Body
Prerequisites:
Ignition ON
Engine OFF
System voltage at least 11.0 V.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
Wait until Field 4 shows "ADP. O.K.".
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Switch Ignition OFF.

thats it right?

SoGonn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
i only have 93 octane and stock on my APR flash.

Code:
Throttle Body
Prerequisites:
Ignition ON
Engine OFF
System voltage at least 11.0 V.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
Wait until Field 4 shows "ADP. O.K.".
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Switch Ignition OFF.

thats it right?
that looks right. these are the instructions I followed from the ross tech wiki

Code:
Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Engines using KWP-2000 or CAN

(These are engines WITHOUT a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle. Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-2000 or CAN by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen. An example of a KWP-2000 engine controller is the 2002+ B6 Audi A4 1.8T. Some examples of CAN engine controllers are the Mk5 Golf 2.0T FSI) 

Turn the key on but do not start the car. 
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.

Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen. Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.

Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.
Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

If it did not complete, or resulted in Error, see the Special Notes below.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
yup. same shit. maybe ill try that out thanks. just need to get my hands on a cable.

SoGonn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
yup. same shit. maybe ill try that out thanks. just need to get my hands on a cable.

Ill bring mine if I come to the meet tonight!

TSiUG

sleeper...
good looks. much appreciated!

Am I crazy or do us TSI guys not need to do this because I thought I read it does the throttle body adjustment everytime u start the car automatically. Either way I am going to try it.....having some MPG issues.

SoGonn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 RS GTI
Am I crazy or do us TSI guys not need to do this because I thought I read it does the throttle body adjustment everytime u start the car automatically. Either way I am going to try it.....having some MPG issues.

Its possible. I thought it would do it automatically if you put the key in the on position and then let it sit for 45 secs or so. But for whatever reason i only trust the vag com lol im really skeptical with these thing's :frown: i always feel like it dosent actually do it