GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rotors and Brake Pads

BlkMaGiC 3526

Ready to race!
I will be changing my rotors and brakes soon.

I was set on ECS cross drilled and slotted rotors and EBC redstuff pads. After some research on Vortex, a couple of people complained about shaking when they ran EBC brake pads.

Anyone running EBC brake pads along with upgraded rotors ever experience any shaking?

Are there any other brake set up recommendations? TIA

BlkMaGiC 3526

Ready to race!
You've purchased brake rotors from Brake Performance before? If so, how do you like them? Any pics?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
I have not; I know a few people who have, including a mechanic, and they all recommend them and have had no issues.

I plan to replace the brakes on both my GTI and my TDI with brake performance as soon as they are needed.

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
I've got redstuffs and ECS drilled and slotted rotors on mine and haven't had any issues with shaking or otherwise. I'd recommend them for sure. :thumbsup:

Stella Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the ecs drilled and slotted and ebc red stuff pads for about 10,000 miles now. No shaking, scrubbing, squealing, or vibrations at all. No complaints at all with the entire setup actually. Btw pads themselves wont cause shaking or vibrations. It's the rotor surface that does that. They are either pad slapping when they wear their pads out or overheating and warping their rotors. Thats why they always recommend either resurfacing or replacing rotors every pad replacement.

Before you buy drilled and slotted rotors though think about if you actually need them. I never had a problem with the stock setup until I started tracking the car and overheating them became a real problem. When it comes time to replace your pads you can't resurface drilled and slotted rotors and it will most likely cause a vibration under braking if you don't. If you can live with vibrating brakes then more power to you, but if you can't you'll be buying rotors with ever brake job.

BlkMaGiC 3526

Ready to race!
Thanks for everyone's input.

@Stella Blue - I have thought about if I actually need the drilled and slotted rotors since I don't track my car, but I do drive my car very aggressively and I never had any issues with the stock brake set up either. I usually buy new rotors every time I replace my pads.

Stella Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
It's well worth it if your willing to shell you the $ every time. If Im not at a track Im usually in the mountains driving and it's definitely worth it to me even if my car never saw a track. Thought I'd throw that out there because working in a dealership I've see far to many people come in with drilled or slotted rotors and flip out when we tell them they have to replace them because no one ever told them.

Slave IV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
I agree that you don't need slotted or drilled rotors but it's nonsense that you have to replace them every brake job. I've been using slotted rotors for years and I've never had vibration issues and I've never had to replace them every time when changing pads or other stuff. That sounds like dealer hocus pokus for them to make more money off customers who don't know any better. I've been hearing a lot lately about VW dealers telling people they need to replace their brakes when there is nothing wrong with them at all. Shady business.

BlkMaGiC 3526

Ready to race!
If I decide to buy slotted rotors, how often do you recommend I replace the rotors when I do my pads? How do you clean slotted rotors since you can't get them resurfaced.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
If I decide to buy slotted rotors, how often do you recommend I replace the rotors when I do my pads? How do you clean slotted rotors since you can't get them resurfaced.

ROTORS: when they get to minimum thickness... replace them.

CLEANING: I have slotted and I just do a simple spray hose with wheel cleaner when the brakes are COLD.

Slave IV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
I've never had a need to clean the rotors since that happens every time they are used. I don't worry about debris in the slots but I suppose you can brush it out and the rest, just use whatever you use to wash your car.

And replace when they wear out. I mentioned on the other forum that some slots are cut to min thickness so you know to change when they disappear.