GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road Trip Preparations

nmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
So my gf and her family are leaving for Anaheim in a couple days. 800 miles each way.

Gti is 09, will just over 20k

Washed and waxed exterior
Checked air pressure including spare, jack and all factory tools were there
Checked oil level, 3 year service was done in October so everything should be up to date.

Couple Questions
I'm a little worried about rocks and crap chipping the hood paint. Thought about either using plasti dip or taping off a foot or so from the bottom of the hood up. I've only used plasti dip on plastic parts but figured it would be fine on the hood. Looking for insight if it is worth painting or taping off the hood. :iono:

Anything else that I should check or bring along? I plan on bringing a quart of oil, but don't have the time or funds to bring extra radiator hoses or coil packs.

dubbin everyday

Lives At The Track
try putting blue paint tape. should be fine with that. idk about plasti-dip though.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I have a bra, its silly and I look more like a jetta but it seriously gets work done. My front is so clean. I usually tape off my a pillars and my mirror caps and I have a second yakima fairing just for long trips :lol:

Nothing you can do for your windshield mid-trip but after your trip put hot towels on your windshield. After an hour or so of soaking the bugs will slide right off. Its a motorcycle trick my dad taught me.

I have about 3 quarts of oil but since I only drive about 6 hours each way (back to school and home during the summer) there's not much chance for serious complications. You'll be fine. Only issue is if you have a small bladder like me.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
So my gf and her family are leaving for Anaheim in a couple days. 800 miles each way.

Gti is 09, will just over 20k

Washed and waxed exterior
Checked air pressure including spare, jack and all factory tools were there
Checked oil level, 3 year service was done in October so everything should be up to date.

Couple Questions
I'm a little worried about rocks and crap chipping the hood paint. Thought about either using plasti dip or taping off a foot or so from the bottom of the hood up. I've only used plasti dip on plastic parts but figured it would be fine on the hood. Looking for insight if it is worth painting or taping off the hood. :iono:

Anything else that I should check or bring along? I plan on bringing a quart of oil, but don't have the time or funds to bring extra radiator hoses or coil packs.

1) No need to worry about rocks and stuff TBQH. I've done the H20 Drive (2,000KM Both Ways), and I've done countless drives down to New York (1,500KM Both Ways), and some down to Chicago, which is like 1,300KM Both Ways, and I've been fine. I have my rock-chips, but that's expected.

If you want, you can use some "3M PAINTERS TAPE". It's Blue, and it's what body-shops typically use and what not. Do NOT Plast-Dip your Hood, it won't come off nicely.

2) Quart of Oil, An extra Coil-Pack or two, and a Spark-Plug or two will go a long way. That's all you really ever need. You have a Jack and Spare, you've done your Oil Changes and everything already, you have nothing to worry about.

If you're wanting to try, whenever I go on a long trip, I also dump a bottle of "MOTUL FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER" into my Gas-Tank on the first tank. I do get better mileage, as it helps clean out the gas-tank and whatever, but that's up to you, :thumbsup:

nmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Thanks for the insight guys

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Don't bother with painter's tape. Use this instead:
http://www.tracwrap.com/
It's like regular paint protection film, but it has little holes in it so that it can be applied very easily with no air bubbles. It's nearly invisible, but obviously not as good as a real vinyl film. I watched a demonstration of it being applied and it's nearly idiot proof. Compared to the real deal vinyl wraps that take professional installation this is a really attractive way to protect your paint finish.

For a trip that long always carry a spot light that has a cord (leave it plugged in the acc port in the trunk if it's battery powered so it's always charged, it should stop charging when it's full if it's a good one) a folding shovel, a tow strap, zip ties, one of those chincy $10 socket sets from the auto parts store, a plastic cup (taco bell cup is great), a zippo (not a plastic disposable lighter!), and some black plastic trash bags, a flashlight with li-ion batteries only, a roll of duct tape, a decent multi-tool like a gerber (made in china ok for your spare), a roll of 550 cord, and a copy of the ranger handbook.

You're in the dessert so it's a little different, but I can explain each item if you want.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't bother with painter's tape. Use this instead:
http://www.tracwrap.com/
It's like regular paint protection film, but it has little holes in it so that it can be applied very easily with no air bubbles. It's nearly invisible, but obviously not as good as a real vinyl film. I watched a demonstration of it being applied and it's nearly idiot proof. Compared to the real deal vinyl wraps that take professional installation this is a really attractive way to protect your paint finish.

For a trip that long always carry a spot light that has a cord (leave it plugged in the acc port in the trunk if it's battery powered so it's always charged, it should stop charging when it's full if it's a good one) a folding shovel, a tow strap, zip ties, one of those chincy $10 socket sets from the auto parts store, a plastic cup (taco bell cup is great), a zippo (not a plastic disposable lighter!), and some black plastic trash bags, a flashlight with li-ion batteries only, a roll of duct tape, a decent multi-tool like a gerber (made in china ok for your spare), a roll of 550 cord, and a copy of the ranger handbook.

You're in the dessert so it's a little different, but I can explain each item if you want.

Sounds more like you're going to bury a dead body in the desert :)

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
yaaaaaa,i drive 1000 miles each way from VA to FL about 6 times a year, 2 trips of which i have taken in this car.... i bring my cell phone with charger, AAA card, ipad, mag light, multi-tool, full socket set, and some jumper cables along with all stock tire changing goodies, but its a vw.... they are pretty damn reliable... as for rock chips, if your that worried about it then try any of the above mentioned ideas, just dont plasti dip it.... and make sure to give your windshield a good scrub at every gas station... helps a lot and doesnt allow the bugs time to set it...... i also clean my headlights at every station too..... just a tip

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
One important item everyone has left out... a reliable tire gauge!
After initial check/adjustment, you should not need it... but you never know.

On road trips that require an overnight, I always check the next morning. Small leaks can be detected as well as variations in ambient air temp (like dry hot desert to cold snowy mountain pass) can change the game.

I got one of these for the glove box, and it has a bleeder valve with glow-in-the-dark face. http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-0-60psi/dp/B000VZ9CL2
The best prescision gauge for the $ I've ever had.

nmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Just got back from trip and the car barely even got dirty.

I did manage to hit a giant pothole on a shitty California highway and had a bubble the size of a tennis ball in the sidewall. I didn't realize it till I got to the hotel 200 miles later. Lucky the tire didn't blow out. Needless to say there are things in life you can't prepare for.