GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS-510 WHITE/GRAY SCREEN OF DEATH

BRAINWALKIN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 VW GTI 2DR
Has anyone had this happen to them? Yes I have searched the web and I've found a lot of people that have had this issue in one way or another even with the RCD-510/310.

Info:
2009 GTI with 28k miles
bought the car in May '09 with 90 miles (brand new)

On December 6th 2012 I got in my car and started backing out my driveway the RNS came on as normal showed the booting screen then it flashed to a black screen came back on to the orange screen and then flashed to this white/gray screen.

The screen never came back. Even to this day (1/15/13) the screen remains blank.

All the functions still work FM/AM/AUX/SAT/USB/BUTTONS/ETC.

So on 12/17/12 I took it to the dealership. The guy was like ok

I waited 4 hours for him to tell me it's not covered since my car is not in warranty (3y/36k)

I explained I had the extended warranty he was like ok... Waited some more He came back and said that I only had the gold package and that doesn't cover radios.... If I had bought the platinum pkg it would be covered...

I was like WTF I wasn't offered any higher package than GOLD when I bought my car in May 09... He said sorry and that the radio is $1900 if i wanted it replaced.

I then asked him about the service bulletins and he said those are only for the RCD... He then stated that it's a common problem in them NOT the RNS...
I then asked him to google RNS510 White screen of death... He wouldn't

Then he said well I can update it for $117 to fix the issue... Once again I was Like WTF...
He said its been known to fix them in the pasted.... I said so you have seen this before he said no we just swap them out...

I said an update isn't going to fix and hardware issue like that....
Then I said update it then and if it works I'll gladly pay you and if it dosen't I won't owe you anything...

He said NO that he wasn't a gambling man....

So I grabbed his card and left... I told him I was calling Volkswagen.

I haven't called yet because the holidays got in the way.

So does anyone have any tips when I call VW to try and get my RNS replaced
Or will a firmware update fix this issue and if so I guess it has to be applied through VAGCOM???

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Salutations are nice, a solution would be better. What the heck is extended warranty for if not something like this? I would call VWoA and try another dealer.

BRAINWALKIN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 VW GTI 2DR
Thanks for the feedback and the link!

I mean it was a $2200 factory option that was in the car on the lot

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Salutations are nice, a solution would be better. What the heck is extended warranty for if not something like this? I would call VWoA and try another dealer.

:lol:

BRAINWALKIN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 VW GTI 2DR
FOLLOW UP:
Issue started 12-6-12
Issue resolved 3-14-13

I finally had time after the holidays and my busy work schedule to call VWofA on 3-6-13.
I explained to them what happened (as stated above)

They listened; then stated that the claim process has started and that I would need to take it back to the dealership... They 3 way called the dealership and I set the appointment for the following Monday 3-11-13.

Took my car in last Monday the Service tech deemed it defective and the service writer gave me my car back and said that they would call VWofA (waited 2 hours)

The next day (12th) VWofA called me and said that they would replace the radio ($2000) and all I had to do was cover labor ($107)

They stated the dealership would call me in a few minutes to set a date up.
The service writer called me and said the radio would be in Friday (15th).

The next day (13th) the service writer called me back and said the NEW RNS-510 has arrived via Next Day Air!!!

I told him I would bring it the next morning (14th)

Radio replaced and installed and working like a champ and it's not a refurb!!

Awesome!

Thanks o6RSGTI for the info!

colejm

Ready to race!
Dang, thats crazy. I would have tried a different dealer, my CV boot tore and my usual dealer would not cover it, another dealer in the area did.

BRAINWALKIN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 VW GTI 2DR
That specific dealer in Houston is known for being "mod friendly"... The other dealers are not so nice... They would probably say since the car is lowered or since I don't take it to them to get the oil changes done..etc... I know they are not suppose to, but I didn't want to deal with that BS. (ain't nobody got time fo'dat)

In the end it all worked out and I am happy

HMMMM I wonder if I can get my clutch replaced now....LOL