GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS 510 LED Q

dazzag

Ready to race!
I'm thinking of upgrading the head unit in my 2005 MK5 Golf GTI with a RNS 510 LED Q. I'm open to other suggestions.

From what i've been reading i will need to upgrade the CAN-BUS?

But i've found a seller on ebay who states he can program the head unit not to drain the battery so i will not have to upgrade the CAN-BUS.

Any thoughts on this??

Daz:thumbsup:

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
There is a way to reprogram the head units via a CD into the CD-slot to change the characteristics of the auto shut off on the unit.

You'll need a can-bus if you hope to use any other features of the head unit. For instance: Media-In, Bluetooth, or NAV. I have an S model out of a newer Tiguan, and works perfectly with my 07 model GTI.

dazzag

Ready to race!
Ok i will upgrade the canbus. I may also want to add a rear camera to the 510 as the wife wants to use the car. Any particular canbus??

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Try the S first and see if that works. You shouldn't have any problems.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Just take out your existing can-bus and add an S to the end of it. If you talk to the dealer and give them your existing part number, they can track yours to the revised can-buses

vagike

Rather than I hi-jack the thread, can you send me a link on info changing out my Premium 7 to upgrade to a newer OEM head unit, for my '08 GTI.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
I never did a write-up. It was mostly just from searching forums and looking at peoples mish-mashed photos of taking the radio out and different wiring harness diagrams. Sorry I can't be of more help. Just start looking through the forums and you can piece it together no problem.