GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rislone Engine Cleaner?

sayian12345

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone used an engine oil cleaner for their cars? Apparently my engine is burning a bit to much oil and the person at the shop said I should use Rislone Engine Treatment to stop the burning.

After researching it a bit, it seems like FSI GTI's just burn quite a bit of oil (didn't know this cause I'm an idiot) and it shouldn't be a problem. But after learning this, I am figuring that there is quite a bit of sludge/gunk in my engine.

Do these engine cleaners work? Has anyone used one? I'm currently at 88,000mi.

Thank you in advance!

FSIs do burn a lot of oil but an engine "cleaner" can't do anything but nothing or make it worse.

Make sure your PCV system is working properly. If you have never had it replaced, maybe just replace it? I Think there is a test procedure somewhere here in the forum.

There are also check valves or baffles or something within the valve cover that can fail. You test it by trying to blow through one of the ports, I think. again, search here.

It's possible that your turbo seals are failing, which would cause you to burn tons of oil. 88k is way early though.

The part of your engine that is most likely to be gunked up is the intake valves, and there is nothing you can add to the engine oil or fuel that will do anything for that -- they carbon up specifically because they never have fuel wash over them.

A real intake valve cleaning requires that you remove the front bumper and move the heat exchangers out of the way so that you can remove the intake manifold and get in there to clean them directly.

A lot of people perform a partial cleaning by spraying a mist of a mixture of gasoline and mineral spirits through the MAP port on the intake manifold while the engine is at about 2000rpm. If you do that, do it right before your oil change, because it is guaranteed to contaminate your oil.

anyway, unless you never change the oil, there is no way your cams and stuff are gunked up. And if you were gunked up in the camshafts, that would have no bearing on your oil consumption.

So no. Don't add a bottle of magic product to the oil.

sayian12345

FSIs do burn a lot of oil but an engine "cleaner" can't do anything but nothing or make it worse.

Make sure your PCV system is working properly. If you have never had it replaced, maybe just replace it? I Think there is a test procedure somewhere here in the forum.

There are also check valves or baffles or something within the valve cover that can fail. You test it by trying to blow through one of the ports, I think. again, search here.

It's possible that your turbo seals are failing, which would cause you to burn tons of oil. 88k is way early though.

The part of your engine that is most likely to be gunked up is the intake valves, and there is nothing you can add to the engine oil or fuel that will do anything for that -- they carbon up specifically because they never have fuel wash over them.

A real intake valve cleaning requires that you remove the front bumper and move the heat exchangers out of the way so that you can remove the intake manifold and get in there to clean them directly.

A lot of people perform a partial cleaning by spraying a mist of a mixture of gasoline and mineral spirits through the MAP port on the intake manifold while the engine is at about 2000rpm. If you do that, do it right before your oil change, because it is guaranteed to contaminate your oil.

anyway, unless you never change the oil, there is no way your cams and stuff are gunked up. And if you were gunked up in the camshafts, that would have no bearing on your oil consumption.

So no. Don't add a bottle of magic product to the oil.

Thank you for the advice! I am learning a lot over the past few day and I appreciate your input.

I have always changed my oil at or around the 5k mark, but the last few times, the mechanic has said I have little to almost no oil left. Maybe they said it before, and I never realized it. I now know I need to top it off, but I haven't done that ever before.

My concern was the sludge/gunk building up in the engine because of the low oil and I appreciate your advice so I know that's not happening.

I will see how the topping it off works. it may just be that.

Cheers!

If you had actual oil starvation, your oil light would blink and the display in the cluster would tell you to pull over immediately.

I normally need to add another quart at about 2500-3000 miles, and change at 5000.

If you like to keep a very clean engine compartment and you are unsure of your ability to pour oil, these funnels are great:

http://www.amazon.com/PK-710-oil-filler-tool/dp/B006T8L2KY

Locks right into the valve cover, same way the cap does. I got one because one of my cars has an 8v that has a G60 valve cover and an oil baffle, which makes it nearly impossible to fill the oil without having some spillover.