GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: R-Dash *NO ERROR* LED Licence Plate Modules

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
So, I got tired of spending time and $$$ on LED bulbs from various sites/vendors to replace my License Plate bulbs. I decided to try something different from the guys at PYSpeed.com in hopes of achieving the look I want, with good longevity thats plug and play.

I bought these from the guys at PYSpeed.com:

Instead of replacing the bulbs, these LP replacement modules replace the entire LP unit unit with a board of SMD LED's encased in a housing. They also have a 1 year warranty!

International shipping took 5 business days :thumbup: Thanks to Kev @ PYSpeed!! Highly recommended!

Initial impressions after installation are as follows:

- Light is BRIGHT. When I say bright I mean the brightest LED setup I have seen in the LP location. They cast a broad pattern of light on the ground behind the car, as seen in the pics below. While this isn't for everyone, I like them bright so I am very happy.

- The Color temp of the modules is a very good match to the OEM 4300K HID's. If I had to assign a number to it, I would say around 4500K. They are ever so slightly cooler than the oem HID's, and they do not shift at all after being on for a while. They are nowhere near the typical 6K color temp that you see on a lot of bulbs out there, they have a nice clean, non-blue light. For reference, see my pic below.

- Fitment was spot on, the housing snapped right into place of the OEM units. Install time took all of 15 minutes, and is plug and play no resistors required. They do not strobe either.

PICS -- (Colors are accurate)

LEFT R-Dash LED vs. RIGHT Hoen Xenonmatch Festoon

Both R-Dash LED (Note the 6k temp of my hatch LED's vs. the temp of the LP)

Light Pattern on the ground behind the car

TOP OEM Housing with Hoen Bulb vs. Bottom R-Dash LED Module

Overall I am very happy with the purchase! I can't speak for longevity of the setup, but they do come with a warranty. Based on looks alone, they were exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Slightly Off Topic, but were the Hoen bulbs any good? were they white or white/yellow? bright as stock?

Thanks!

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Slightly Off Topic, but were the Hoen bulbs any good? were they white or white/yellow? bright as stock?

Thanks!

The Hoens are marginally whiter than the stock bulbs, and a little dimmer imo. You can see just how yellow they look vs. the LED's in the pic above. They aren't too bad for incandescent bulbs, but they are nowhere near an LED setup.

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Back on topic, how bright are the LEDs? considerably bright that will attract cops or maybe slightly brighter than stock?

reason I don't want to go with LEDs because I am afraid that they may be really bright on the road and attract attention.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Back on topic, how bright are the LEDs? considerably bright that will attract cops or maybe slightly brighter than stock?

reason I don't want to go with LEDs because I am afraid that they may be really bright on the road and attract attention.

Very bright. They are the brightest "bulbs" I have installed, and I have gone through a few sets of bulbs now. They cast a defined shadow of the bumper on the ground behind the car.

In terms of attracting attention, your license plate definately stands out more after installing these lol. They might not be for you if you are worried about such things...

h911

Ready to race!
Great review. I just ordered a set for myself. Can't wait to get them now. ^^

h911

Ready to race!
Very bright. They are the brightest "bulbs" I have installed, and I have gone through a few sets of bulbs now. They cast a defined shadow of the bumper on the ground behind the car.

In terms of attracting attention, your license plate definately stands out more after installing these lol. They might not be for you if you are worried about such things...

You mind if I ask which few sets of bulbs you tried?

I tried tunerdomes 2W LED, very bright but only last for 3 months and they start flickering. Polarg and one of them burn out after a month or so. Maybe coz of the heat and lucky it didn't burn the housing.

So I really hope this one sticks.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
You mind if I ask which few sets of bulbs you tried?

I tried tunerdomes 2W LED, very bright but only last for 3 months and they start flickering. Polarg and one of them burn out after a month or so. Maybe coz of the heat and lucky it didn't burn the housing.

So I really hope this one sticks.

I also tried the tunerdomes 2W LED's, they lasted me about 3 months before one failed. Nice output and color, but they just don't last in an application where they are on as much as the LP lights are on. I installed the other bulb in the dome light inside the car.

I had the ZiZa LED's for a while as well. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the bulb, and the color was way too blue for me. One of the bulbs started strobing on me so I took them out.

I have had the Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs in there. They worked for a long time however the color wasn't very good and they were dim. After about 9 or so months one of those burnt out.

I haven't tried the Blesks or the Lucids that parts4euro.com sells, both are plug and play.

very nice dan!

I am using alpha leds.. china made.. cheap, not as bright, but they have no problem what so ever *touch wood*
so you take out the oem housing and plug this in to the rear bumper and that's it??

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
remember to use coupon code 'lednow' to save $15 on your order!