GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear view mirror shaking

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I’ve started having this issue where on the highway (usually over 100km/h) my rear view mirror shakes like crazy.
I don’t feel any shake in my steering wheel or the car itself, just in the rear view mirror. I have just recently got my tires balanced to see if that would fix the issue and no luck.
I have a 2016 gti autobahn with ACC lane assist etc, so the mirror locks in with a quarter turn, not really any way to tighten it down. Although it doesn’t actually feel loose at all, my fiancés Mazda cz5’s mirror is extremely loose and doesn’t vibrate on the highway at all. My mirror feels super solid and has almost no movement at all, it’s like there’s no shock absorption in the mirror or something. Tried shoving things in between the mirror and the windshield but I can’t really fit anything.

Any ideas how to fix this? I’ve tried removing the mirror and bending the metal teeth inwards so that it would grip the mount more, I’ve tried putting a dab of superglue in the adjustment knuckle and no matter what I do, it won’t stop shaking/vibrating on the highway.
Very close to just buying a new mirror but they’re so expensive.

EDIT: Fixed temporarily by swapping the windshield again...shake came back after a week.
New OEM windshield is on the way. Will report back when I get that installed - Not happy at all about having 3 windshields removed and installed on my car.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Shakes on acceleration cause race car.

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Mine started doing this too about 3-4 weeks after a windshield replacement. The nylon bracket glued to the glass to which the mirror assembly attaches had begun to unstick itself from the window on one side. My vibration was 100% from the adhesive failing and had nothing to do with any adjustments or parts in the mirror assembly

Eventually, my entire mirror fell off. Safelite reattached it under their warranty about two weeks ago. Safelite guy told me that the industry (or maybe it was VW?) switched from metal to nylon for the bracket glued to the window. He also said that the metal liked the adhesive better than the nylon does. I have the Homelink auto-dimming mirror which is pretty heavy so I’m sure that is not helping the situation.

I swear the mirror has started shaking again.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Mine started doing this too about 3-4 weeks after a windshield replacement. The nylon bracket glued to the glass to which the mirror assembly attaches had begun to unstick itself from the window on one side. My vibration was 100% from the adhesive failing and had nothing to do with any adjustments or parts in the mirror assembly

Eventually, my entire mirror fell off. Safelite reattached it under their warranty about two weeks ago. Safelite guy told me that the industry (or maybe it was VW?) switched from metal to nylon for the bracket glued to the window. He also said that the metal liked the adhesive better than the nylon does. I have the Homelink auto-dimming mirror which is pretty heavy so I’m sure that is not helping the situation.

Wow. Same problem here, I just checked and the bracket’s right side has come off from the glue letting go.
I am gonna stop at a windshield shop Sunday and see if they can reglue for me. Hopefully this fixes the issue, I’ll report back. Thank you!

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI

Fixed!

I took it back to the place that changed my windshield to show them that the mount was unglued on one side from the windshield. He said they’re preapplied from the manufacturer so he didn’t want to try to glue it back on, they just replaced the whole windshield for me and the shake has disappeared!

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I had a similar issue with safelite. Two windshields later, I had it replaced with OEM glass. The company ran the safelite part number through the computer and it was the wrong glass for my car. Twice.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Fixed temporarily by swapping the windshield again...shake came back after a week.
New OEM windshield is on the way. Will report back when I get that installed - Not happy at all about having 3 windshields removed and installed on my car.

battle.munky

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Tornado Red 2017 Mk7
Friend of mine had a Nissan Sentra in the late 90's. He had a sub in the back and the rearview mirror fell off from the bass. :LOL:
My buddy had a CRX, same era, had the backseat that wasn't a backseat replaced with a speaker box wall of 10 10" subs...tiny car became a bass radiator. He couldn't keep a rearview mirror not that you could see through the wall anyhow. We figured it'd be a good idea to put it in my parent's drive in basement just to see what it'd do and broke a few plates and knocked a ton of stuff off the walls. #goodtimes