GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway Bar Thread (stock springs and dampers)

autobahngti

Synthesizer
Car(s)
07 GTI
Howdy fellas!

So I'm creating this thread to document my experience with my H&R 24mm Rear Swaybar.

The reason I'm doing this is to help others who are looking for more performance without spending a ton of money. After doing a lot of research on the MKV GTI and suspension modifications for the track, I've come to the conclusion that the best "bang for the buck" modification is a rear swaybar.

Fully stock, the car handles pretty well on the track. Well enough where you can easily surprise people in traditionally "fast" cars in tight cornering sections. However, the stock setup suffers a bit from body roll. One way to correct this is an upgraded rear sway bar. As a side effect, this should give us more neutral handling characteristics (i.e. remove the tendency to understeer or "push" through tough corners and produce wheelspin and loss of traction when on power exiting corners).

Why the H&R bar? Well, first off, it seems silly but I didn't want the hassle of having to grease the bar. The H&R setup has some sort of teflon hybrid "fabric" lining the bushing which is nice and slick. The other reason is that I think the other offerings are simply TOO LARGE for an otherwise stock setup. 24mm solid seemed to be a happy medium.

Now I've only had the bar on for a day, but initial impressions are the body roll is greatly reduced and the car feels much more neutral around corners. I am headed to the track next week (Brainerd International Raceway long track) and I will post up my impressions and thoughts after I am back.

Tpass

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 BMP 6M GTI
Just a quick reply on the grease...I've got a Hotchkis rear bar with the grease fittings. Greased it when I installed it over a year ago, have done nothing since ,never had any noise or issues...

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
Looking forward to your impression and report. I am aslo thinking of a RSB and I am a bit hesitant to jump on the "bigger is better" bandwagon too, but if I did get a big fat bar it would have to be adjustable so that I could reduce it's effect if needed. Check your end links when you remove the stock bar to make sure they are not sloppy at the pivot joint. OEM replacements are available at modest cost.

Last edited:

nashbar

Ready to race!
Car(s)
b5s4, fz1 and mk5
I gave autobahn (Cary) a gentle ride in my car after I put front and rear hotchkis bars in.

it was wet and bumpy so he didn't get the full effect.

peer pressure.

I think upgrading the front sway bar is good also. anything to keep the front end flatter.

cheers Cary, I'm jealous. I didn't have enough free time to get the tech stuff done on my car, excuses, I'm wimping out of BIR so I can go to Rock Falls raceway.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
You will realize that bigger is better even with stock suspension, once you go with a bigger bar.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
That's exact my doubt. is the 24mm big enough? or 28mm is THE ONE to get?

Anything beyond stock is good. Bigger is better, and solid over hollow is much better as well. Hollow is pointless.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
RSB increases oversteer and reduces understeer right?? So there should be a point where the bigger you get and you will just start oversteering like crazy... I guess you just need to find that sweet spot overtime when you try different RSB...
Looking forward to your impressions on the RSB good luck at the event!

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
is it possible to be slammed and have a larger sway bar? I want to tuck but I want it to handle and ride like its floating on clouds.

Possible? YES Practical? NO. Slamming always completly ruins the car's handling so going for a bigger rear sway bar, a performance oriented modification, is completly pointless.

RSB increases oversteer and reduces understeer right?? So there should be a point where the bigger you get and you will just start oversteering like crazy... I guess you just need to find that sweet spot overtime when you try different RSB...
Looking forward to your impressions on the RSB good luck at the event!

Yes it does increase oversteer. Its a FWD car though. Yes you can get one that oversteers too much, so yes there would be a limit on how big of a bar you would want. But nothing on the market is too big IMO.