GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Diffuser, Paint, and tire question.

Corgon

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I just recently picked up an 07 GTI and man do I love it! The only thing I dislike is how much it resembles a mini van :yikes: So I decided to go forth and do a few mods to make the car look a bit more appealing.

First I installed a 1 in 2 out magnaflow muffler with quad exhaust tips. We used the stock exhaust out out hole as a measurement for symmetry and tried to make it as perfect as possible. So here is my first question. Is there a rear diffuser that I can use with the symmetrical stock port? I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say as I'm not quite conveying it properly DX

Secondly, I really dislike the black trim pieces and have read up a few of the posts about how to paint them. Has anyone had any trouble with the paint peeling and what not? I took it into a body shop just to see how much it would cost to get it professionally done and they quoted me 500 bucks!:thumbdown: I would like to do it myself as it would be a whole lot cheaper but I want to know the longevity of the paint.

Third and final, I like really wide tires. And this may not be the right section of the forum to ask this, but what is the widest tire that you can put on the MKV? I'm looking into 245 and maybe even 255 tire width. Would this be too wide?

Sorry for such a wall of text and I hope you can answer my questions! Thanks!

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Welcome, searching around the forum will yield answers to most questions you asked. Im not sure about the quad exhaust since i've never really looked the look of it but I know there are kits out there. Your quote for painting the lower trim @ $500 is pretty standard. I paid 500 and did all the prep work myself. You can fit 255's all around with some fender work, camber and higher offset wheels (high 40's, 50's). Same goes for 245s. I have 255's all around on an 18x8 +38 but it took wide fenders and camber plates in the front then a pull and camber in the rear to fit.

Corgon

Ready to race!
Oh and for reference here's a picture of the exhaust.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Don't put a fucking rear diffuser on the car even if you can find one. jesus christ.

Corgon

Ready to race!
Wow, great community you have here...

Anyways I don't like the way that the cut out on the right hand side looks. It's cut with a grinder and not really the right shape nor does it go in (factory style) like the left side does. I was thinking something like:

But all I've found is the full R32 conversion kits which are way too expensive for me.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Don't put a fucking rear diffuser on the car even if you can find one. jesus christ.

I don't think he literally means a diffuser, just the valance.

OSIR makes a quad tip valance. I can vouch for the quality of their carbon. Buy it from Parts4Euro, I'd post the link but I can only see the stupid mobile site on my iPad.

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VGTI-DTMGT4-CF&Category_Code=VGTIEB

Oettinger also make a quad tip rear bumper. The link is for the European one because there's no picture in the US spec page

http://www.oettinger.com/en/produkt...sserie/hecksch-fuer-2-rohr-endschalldaempfer/

I'm sure there are more, just search "mkv GTI quad tip valance" in Google.

As for tires, I'm running 245/35-18 Pilot Super Sports on 18x8.5 et45 TE37's. I'm still at stock height so I can't tell you how much modification it needs when lowered for sure but the rears are pretty flush and the fronts poke out by 8mm. You'll definitely need to roll the front fenders, I autocross and even at stock height I get light rubbing of fender on tire in hard corners. Hopefully I can get them rolled next week. You can definitely make 245's work, either with SRS-Tec wide front fenders (20mm wider) or with rolled OEM fenders and possibly some camber. 255 is probably possible as well but I have no experience with them.

Corgon

Ready to race!
OSIR makes a quad tip valance. I can vouch for the quality of their carbon. Buy it from Parts4Euro, I'd post the link but I can only see the stupid mobile site on my iPad.

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VGTI-DTMGT4-CF&Category_Code=VGTIEB

Oettinger also make a quad tip rear bumper. The link is for the European one because there's no picture in the US spec page

http://www.oettinger.com/en/produkt...sserie/hecksch-fuer-2-rohr-endschalldaempfer/

I'm sure there are more, just search "mkv GTI quad tip valance" in Google.

As for tires, I'm running 245/35-18 Pilot Super Sports on 18x8.5 et45 TE37's. I'm still at stock height so I can't tell you how much modification it needs when lowered for sure but the rears are pretty flush and the fronts poke out by 8mm. You'll definitely need to roll the front fenders, I autocross and even at stock height I get light rubbing of fender on tire in hard corners. Hopefully I can get them rolled next week. You can definitely make 245's work, either with SRS-Tec wide front fenders (20mm wider) or with rolled OEM fenders and possibly some camber. 255 is probably possible as well but I have no experience with them.

This is very helpful thanks! I really like those OSIR valences, although the price kinda high but you get what you pay for I suppose.

What do you need to roll the fender? Does it cause any damage?

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Happy to help.

The OSIR one is pricey but I'm sure someone makes plastic versions of it. If you do decide to go the carbon route you won't be disappointed though, I've seen the OSIR R32 valance and it's absolutely beautiful. My only concern with it was the lack of a tow hook pass through.

http://www.rollyourfender.com/instruction.html

I haven't rolled my fenders yet so take anything I say with a grain of salt but I have talked to mechanics and body shops because it's in the immediate future for my car. You use what's basically a metal arm with a plastic wheel at the end, the other end bolts onto the hub of the car.

As far as I know you can do it one of two ways.

1. Use a heat gun to heat up the fenders before you roll it. This softens the paint so it hopefully doesn't crack as you stretch the fender.

2. I've heard some shops will just cut a line through the paint with a razor. The paint splits along that line as you roll the fender. When you're done you fill in the line and buff it to blend it in.

The shop I talked to says they guarantee no paint damage and he doesn't use a razor. He charges $25 per fender, it takes about 30 minutes to do both. I went in a few weeks ago to have it done but he said to come back after I had my coilovers installed and that he didn't think I'd have rubbing issues on stock suspension. Turns out he underestimated how hard my tires grip and how hard I drive my car when I autocross so I'll be going back to have him do them some time next week hopefully. I can post an update then.

Corgon

Ready to race!
Ah, now I'm excited...but I have to choose between the valence and the wheels/tires. Decisions decisions...

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I'd do the valance first because it's one part that will finish off your exhaust issue.

Then focus your attention fully on a wheel and tire setup becuase it will take time and effort to make it work. Get the wheels and tires you want, decide whether you're going to run wide fenders or modify the existing ones and get it all to work at your current ride height. Then move onto lowering, assuming you're planning to, and adjust the setup as you go lower with camber plates and/or more fender modification.