GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling noise

scca_ziptie

Car(s)
Mk5 R32 #684
MkV R32 w/ 37k miles, completely stock (to my knowledge).

A rattling noise occurs (primarily on initial cold startup) that almost sounds like heat shield(s) touching another metal component. Here's where it gets a little weird to me - once the car goes into reverse or drive/sport the rattle instantly goes away. The rattle is only present when the car is in Park or Neutral position and is louder once the idle drops from cold/high idle to the warm/standard 600rpm range.. The noise is sometimes apparent when the vehicle is up to operating temperature but much more noticeable when the car is cold.

Any ideas? I will try to get a video (for sound reference) tomorrow morning if that is going to help.

Thanks all.

Something that I forgot to "mention" - I took my car to a VW dealer here in Oregon about a month ago or so to replace the upper shock mounts (front) because they were making noise while turning the wheel stopped (they only replaced one and the other one is needing to be replaced) :thumbdown:.
They told me the "DSG shift rods were not adjusted correctly" - they made some form of adjustment and ever since then the noise has been noticeable. I have access to a VAGcom/VCDS and I seem to remember one of the menus showed measurements/specs in mm for linkage/rods. Would this be helpful at all?

I am just trying to get things sorted prior to talking to the dealership because at this point they seem to be completely worthless/incapable of working on my car.

Thanks for any input/help in advance !

scca_ziptie

Car(s)
Mk5 R32 #684

Thanks very much for the link ! I work at an Indy shop and have been dealing with the 'stealership' as my car is under warranty and we aren't authorized to do VW warranty work or else my car would already be fixed.... Ugh.

I will check this tomorrow as I feel like this sound is occurring but unfortunately my issue sounds more like the topic that post #4 and #5 briefly discuss.. It's really annoying even though the car doesn't really sit 'idle' for very long - I don't like knowing that it's there and that it wasn't doing it very long ago, sure seems like something must have failed or being failing (the latter is almost more worrying). Ugh.

Last edited:

scca_ziptie

Car(s)
Mk5 R32 #684
The heat shield was making contact and a slight noise was definitely coming from that, bent the shield and that sound is gone.

Unfortunately the noise that I was hearing that let me to create this post has not changed. I guess now it's time for me to dig into the 'flywheel issue' ? I will do some searching, but was this some kind of TSB or recall/update per VW?

Thanks,

Don

RHCP4LIFE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
.:R32
I had the same issue, but vw voided my warranty because it was tuned. Getting my flywheel replaced this week while I'm out of town.

impactblue

I've had similar rattles. Turns out it was a tensioner belt and it ended up breaking and needed a new one. I was told the AC compressor tore it up and the car wouldn't turn over. Once it was fixed the car was great and running fine.