GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator fan running after car is turned off

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
My radiator fan is running for a few mins after I turn the car off. I just did my timing belt and water pump. Could this be due to air still being in the system?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
My radiator fan is running for a few mins after I turn the car off. I just did my timing belt and water pump. Could this be due to air still being in the system?

Might be a bad temperature sensor or insufficient coolant. I don't think having air in the system is an issue on this engine (no need to bleed the coolant as far as I know)

Neopork

Passed Driver's Ed

My understanding is that this is normal for our cars to run the radiator fans for a couple minutes after shut off (I have an 09 GTI). That said, I replaced both a couple years ago and my car no longer does this (it was running for sometimes 6-10 minutes after shut off). It was determined that the smaller radiator fan was not functioning at all, and that the larger fan was running overtime to compensate. The larger fan contains the controller for the smaller fan. Be careful if you order 3rd party fans - I got one from ECS that was dead on arrival (non-genuine VW).

There are many resources on this topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gti...rome..69i57.9904j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Vw spec for the fan running after turning off car is 15 min. for gas and 16 min. for diesel engines. If Longer than that, time to scan car for Dtc.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It was determined that the smaller radiator fan was not functioning at all, and that the larger fan was running overtime to compensate. The larger fan contains the controller for the smaller fan.

This was my experience on my 06. Car sounded like a Boeing 777 getting ready to take off after shutdown. Turns out that only one of the fans was running super hard to make up for the other not doing anything. I ended up replacing the auxiliary radiator fan with a new OEM one off eBay for about $44.

I can't remember how I decided it was the auxiliary fan and not the controller, but I think there may have been some multimeter testing involved.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
This was my experience on my 06. Car sounded like a Boeing 777 getting ready to take off after shutdown. Turns out that only one of the fans was running super hard to make up for the other not doing anything. I ended up replacing the auxiliary radiator fan with a new OEM one off eBay for about $44.

I can't remember how I decided it was the auxiliary fan and not the controller, but I think there may have been some multimeter testing involved.

With Vcds you can do an output test on fans to see that they both run.

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
Got this part of the equation figured out. It just hadn't cycled all the way and ended up needing more coolant.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Off the top of my head select control module 01 engine -> 03 output test, drop down screen/menu look for fan (V) ,use selective you don't want to run all test just the fans, press button for start /stop.

Have you downloaded the manual and watched the online demo http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php. Output test can be found in almost all modules but you need to know how to use them, RT sometimes provides a guide. RT makes notes on the module screen basic functions "these are safe" and advance function "refer to service manual!"