GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Not Starting

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I looked at parts available for your R32 from 1stVWparts.com. There's unidentified left and right bank fuel sensors so I figure they must be in the network. When you go into VCDS Output Tests is there a fuel pressure output test listed?

heanshi

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope there's nothing fuel related.

I got back from Ross tech.

The engine in your 2008 R32 does not use direct injection, so none of the fuel pump related measuring blocks in the 2.0T apply to that engine.

LateAPXR

Ready to race!
What? That's crazy. This VW Self Study Program PDF specifically says that the new VR6 motor in the MKV R32 has FSI technology and direct injection. (Page 2)

Page 26 shows the HPFP in the diagram as a chain driven pump, with a sprocket directly driving a cam lobe that contacts a piston/rolling follower setup (NOT like the 2.0T FSI).

Pages 36-39 cover the fueling system in its entirety.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s084opio9rg3rl/vw_vr6_self_study.pdf

The Fed has a very good point. Even though Ross Tech says you shouldn't be seeing those sensors, the fact that you're not seeing ANYTHING relating to the fueling system just seems absolutely ridiculous to me. There HAS to be a sensor SOMEWHERE reporting something.

And if not...maybe an entire module is bad and is preventing it from functioning/reporting data?

LateAPXR

Ready to race!
Looking through parts available for your car on ECS, have you checked the following?

Relay 167
Fuel pump relay. Located in the fuse panel, this relay controls fuel pump power circuit.

Load Reduction Relay - 460
Car not starting lately? The purpose of this relay is to interrupt current flow from heavy consumers like your A/C & Headlights during cranking so that all available power is directed/available to the starter.

heanshi

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally found my other key and it's not the immobilizer..

I thought their response was weird too because I know VR6 got direct injection

I'll just order the relay and try it...

heanshi

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty much narrowed it down to be an ignition problem.

No sparks on any of the cylinders even with new coil packs.

The engine ground is fine too.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Pretty much narrowed it down to be an ignition problem.

No sparks on any of the cylinders even with new coil packs.

The engine ground is fine too.

Did you try checking the ground on the ignition coil with a test light to see if it is getting power?

heanshi

Passed Driver's Ed
The car fixed itself after sitting for 5 months. The exhaust smelled sour and rotten for a few days, then it went away. It's like nothing ever happened. Still don't know what went wrong this day.

Oil analysis didn't show anything out of ordinary either.

Attachments

• R32-101613.jpg
    R32-101613.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 165

mac junkie

macoholic
Car(s)
R32
Finally figured out my issue, it was the coil packs, all six were no good. Once we tried 6 known good coil packs, the car fired right up.

only downside is that shortly after the car turned on the starter failed, maybe dude to troubleshooting and having to start the car so many times over n over.

heanshi

Passed Driver's Ed
My car drove fine until the same issue acted up last Fall. The engine stalled while pulling into a gas station. Towed it to dealer and narrowed down to ECM. Frankly, the replacement was covered under the emission warranty after about 3-4 weeks there. At least now I have some closure.