GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quotes on cam follower

jsof

Ready to race!
My 06 GTI is going in for its 100k service next week. i enquired about them changing the cam follower, and also equired about it being under warrenty.

First of all the quoted me $300 to change it.. isn't this way to expensive, from what i understand it should only be an hours labour + the cost of the part which considering VW mark ups shouldnt be more than $100. ( i get a fleet discount which means labour is $50 an hour instead of $150)

Also i remember reading VW have an extended warrenty for this issue up to 120,000K's. when i mentioned this, they didnt know what i was on about, it was as if he refused to believe our golf gti's have any such problem.

Would like to hear some feedback on anyone else's experiances with this, or something similar. thanks.

(p.s. i searched) :help:

jsof

Ready to race!
If i had confidence in doing it my self, i wouldnt even be asking for a quote from VW.. but somehow when ever i try do a mod my self something goes wrong lol.
id rather just pay someone to do it then attempt it myself, but 300 is abit steep.

M4RK0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI - MK6
If i had confidence in doing it my self, i wouldnt even be asking for a quote from VW.. but somehow when ever i try do a mod my self something goes wrong lol.
id rather just pay someone to do it then attempt it myself, but 300 is abit steep.

I think is a good price,

Cheers!

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
The part is less than $100 & it should be under an hour to change so yes - $300 is WAYYYY overpriced. A full DSG service with a new filter & 7-8L of the really expensive DSG oil which is much fiddlier comes out at around $400 so compare the two.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
$80 part (i know ridiculous), and 100 bucks labour via derek at euroautotech...back when i had a gti. not sure what he charges now

jsof

Ready to race!
just got off the phone to camberwell VW and barloworld VW to enquire about the 100k service... interesting that camberwell quoted $1256 and barloworld was $1750 for just a major.. shouldnt all VW dealers be charging the same price within the same city?

also both places said changing the camshaft follower wasnt recomended, and tryed to assure me that they have never had to swap one over let alone had anyone come in with any problems with it.

Thank god for this forum, because i know i definatly need to get it changed for an FSI engine. Pretty poor advise I just got from the mentioned VW dealers.

I also called Volkspower in melbourne, they quoted me $1000 for a service and $170 for camshaft follower (Dean from Volkspower was the one who first informed me with the problem.) So far i think they deserve my business, not happy with the dealerships.

macad

apple pixel pusher
Anyone got a part number?

macad

apple pixel pusher
Thanks champ.