GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about upcoming SMOG check

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

My first smog test I think is coming up in March/23. Anybody got a smog "friendly" place they take their cars to in the socal area?

Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What mods are you worried about?

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Hi guys,

My first smog test I think is coming up in March/23. Anybody got a smog "friendly" place they take their cars to in the socal area?

Thanks!
There are none any more. They connect your car to the computer it transmits your vin with readiness. A bit different than the past where they could connect your car while putting the probe in the tailpipe of a known good car. Ca no longer does tailpipe emissions on obd2 cars.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
What mods are you worried about?
I have most of my stock parts just in case, but it's so much work to remove and put back that I'm worried I'll give up and leave it stock.

I have:

Vortex XL Turbo
Autotech HPFP
RS3 LPFP
Upgraded MAP/PUT sensors
CTS Catch can
Full turboback
Factory replacement intercooler with EQT hoses
MST Full Intake
Precision MPI kit with EURO manifold

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Down pipe or oem? If oem downpipe try. Ed claims it sets readiness if you have their oem downpipe file. Worst case go as soon as you can, see result, and if have to remove and go to stock. The catch can is the only thing that would easily fail visual unless you have the mpi with a red or blue fuel line. Also maybe get the euro cover that hides the mpi as well.

Just saw turbo back. That will be a problem.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Down pipe or oem? If oem downpipe try. Ed claims it sets readiness if you have their oem downpipe file. Worst case go as soon as you can, see result, and if have to remove and go to stock. The catch can is the only thing that would easily fail visual unless you have the mpi with a red or blue fuel line. Also maybe get the euro cover that hides the mpi as well.

Just saw turbo back. That will be a problem.
I think from now on you have to have your stock tune and unmarry the cobb to able to pass. And if that's so, all the stock sensors will have to be re-installed, I'm not sure about the HPFP,LPFP as the lpfp is brushless with it's own controller. The MPI I haven't installed yet, but now I will not until after the smog test. Also yes the catch can has to be removed but that's not really that hard to do. The only thing that really sucks is the exhaust which I would have to put the original full turbo back.

I've read that even the intercooler piping will flag visual. I've thought about the euro engine cover, but can the smog test just remove it and check further?

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I think from now on you have to have your stock tune and unmarry the cobb to able to pass. And if that's so, all the stock sensors will have to be re-installed, I'm not sure about the HPFP,LPFP as the lpfp is brushless with it's own controller. The MPI I haven't installed yet, but now I will not until after the smog test. Also yes the catch can has to be removed but that's not really that hard to do. The only thing that really sucks is the exhaust which I would have to put the original full turbo back.

I've read that even the intercooler piping will flag visual. I've thought about the euro engine cover, but can the smog test just remove it and check further?
Cobb stage 1 has an eo. A guy passed with the standard stage 1 tune so there is a chance depending on what the computer is looking for if you have a stock downpipe file. No guarantee. I know 034, Apr, and Cobb stage 1 all have carb eo numbers and although eqt does not there are at least 2 people on here I have seen pass with it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Emissions test is 2 part in CA. Visual, where they look to see that everything emissions related is still in place. Readiness, is second part, through odb2 the reports back the status of emissions related sensors. With software like VAG-Com you can check readiness youself.

The biggest difficulty would be the visual test. The most obvious would be the aftermarket downpipe part of your turbo back exhaust. Best to put stock downpipe and cat back on. Your PCV valve should be fresh and in place. Your air intake would need to be stock or one that is CARB certified. I believe Neuspeed (which I have) is the go to for CA guys as they have a CARB certified model.

I have heard a lot of talk about CA now checking for tunes but I have not seen one post on the various boards I follow saying that someone in California actually had a smog station check for a tune. You should be able to pass readiness part of test with your tune in place. I had a stage 3+ MKV and I would just put my stock downpipe on and pass. Once you put your stuff back on as I have described you will need to drive it under varying conditions for a hundred miles or so for everything to reset. With a laptop and VagCom software you can simulate that driving by running a routine and at the end of the 15min or so routine it will report back on readiness and show any errors you might have. I highly recommend this diagnostic tool if you don't already have one.

Notes -A catch can can be left in place It is not illegal assuming you have not vented it to atmosphere.
- Also I did go in with a tuned vehicle in Nov 2021 and passed but have not done so in 2022.
- You can run your current tune with a stock downpipe just fine for normal driving.
- MPI would be a possible visual failure as well since car did not come with it even though it is oem. I say possible because emissions folks may not know what it is. If you want to run gobs of E85 there is one shop producing injectors and modified harness to go into the stock location that will give you the flow you need. (Mabotech I believe)/ That way you will still look stock.

You cannot force readiness, everything actually has to be working. Forcing or faking it is illegal, just ask VW/Audi.
The readout from the software looks like this.

Last edited:

sheeno

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I have APR's stage 3+ kit, EFR7163 turbo, with MPI installed and my stock downpipe will not fit without pulling the engine and putting the stock turbo back. My car is MY15 and smog will be due in March. I have been worried about this since CA switched their rules to check the ECU for tunes. Same boat as you, Beni.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have APR's stage 3+ kit, EFR7163 turbo, with MPI installed and my stock downpipe will not fit without pulling the engine and putting the stock turbo back. My car is MY15 and smog will be due in March. I have been worried about this since CA switched their rules to check the ECU for tunes. Same boat as you, Beni.
Oooooh I feel your pending pain. As mentioned I have yet to see a post that anyone has actually had a tune detected here in CA.

I don’t need to tell you but that setup is a step too far in terms of emissions. I put a 7163 on my FSI motor but knowing I would need to pass later I purchased a Turbozentrum EFR 7163 that could still allow for use of a stock downpipe. It looks like a giant K03/4.

Talk to folks who may have big turbo setups and see if they have any tips for you.

Personally I would either be thinking of going with a different turbo system that can pass visual and allow stock downpipe to be installed. I would not want to pull the motor every 24 months to swap. Something like the TTE turbos that are modified oem housings are a good way to go. Or buy a new car and move your stuff over to get another 8 years of no emission checks.

The one thing you don’t want to happen is to get sent to a referee. Many of those guys are car guys and have extensive knowledge about all the aftermarket stuff. Years back they made me pull a turbo V-8 project car off the street. It passed sniffer but did not have all the proper smog equipment for year of motor. Referee said you have it tuned right and it is not polluting but you don't have the equipment in place.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
As others have said- CA does CAL ID and CALnumber checks via odb11 along with electronic readiness and a visual.

Anything without a CARB EO number aftermarket wise on the intake will fail. Non stock DP will more than likely fail when they don't see 2 Cats regardless of readiness. ICs on non desiel cars are fine. Catch cans can be iffy. Turbo if it's obvious might flag you.

Getting around the ECU check you either have to have APR stage 1, as they are CARB approved or stock. Anything else will flag you due to changes in your calibration numbers vs stock when they checksum.

So APR stage 1, or stock. Anything else is a visual thing unless you have ref or EO numbers for CARB.

As for visual, some shops seem to employ nearsighted nearly blind dudes, some have cameras recoding the entire inspection to ensure they mirror under the car and stuff for OEM numbers.

Easiest is get the visual in line, flash stock and old man drive for 50+ miles. Smog, then flash back and reinstall your mods until next smog in 2 years.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'd get a lower euro engine cover. Your billet MPI rail is going to draw attention unless you went with black anodized. Stock MPI Is the easiest to get away with because it looks OEM, because it is. Most smog shops won't know non stock from stock if it passes visual.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Here is a link to a comprehensive article written on the subject from iDrive I just read. I would like to see a follow up article to see if this enforcement method is actually in play and working. This was written Jul 2021 when the new enforcement was supposed to start. After reading this, it is concerning for anyone going to a smog station with a modified ECU tune. LINK

This is very concerning because if you fail they can send you to a referee according to the article. For someone like OP with lots of mods like MPI, turbo, downpipe it would be a disaster to have to go to a referee. Those guys are going to go over the car and find all of it.

Guess I will be flashing my non-Carb tunes back to stock. every so often.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR