GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about DSG

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
GTI DSG Freude am Fahren said:
as Top Gear said. "it´s the future in changing gears" .
Faster than the manual gear box
more economic than standard

So why on earth take the manual gear box ?
DSG is absolutely gorgeous

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Coz its cheaper and you might just like it :eek:

x-star

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting replies. I think I might have to test drive it again. I can't remember if I was in D, S, Tiptronic. I think it was Tiptronic mode because I remember pushing it over to the side. If that was the case, I am interested in this no lag while in D or S. I think I would like to see what that is like. Who knows, maybe I would like it beter than a stick. If that was the case, maybe I haven't already made my decision...:evil:

Thanks guys...

By the way, when did accessing Wikipedia become a normal step in the process of answering questions about Volkswagen gearbox's??? Thanks for backing me up everyone. I strive to not make comments on forums when there is something that bothers me but I guess that is out of the question for some people.

da_17

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG: German Engineering?

Shovels said:
Id say the DSG is definetly a gr8 piece of german engineering but.....

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

According to this article in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox the DSG gearbox was invented by BorgWarner, which is a US part supplier. It also mentions it is licensed to Volkswagen. Does it mean it could be licensed to other manufacturers? Do any of you know anything about the license (for how long, etc.)?

Edit: The link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_gearbox ) posted above mentions two other manufacturers, so looks like VW won't have the DSG advantage for long as others should join it soon.

sarahvtec

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
x-star said:
...I can't remember if I was in D, S, Tiptronic. I think it was Tiptronic mode because I remember pushing it over to the side...

Yup! If you moved the gear lever to the side, then you were in Tiptronic mode. The ONLY thing cool about that mode is the car won't shift for you. You are in TOTAL control to shift up and down through gears. However, there is a lag in shifting like all Tiptronics I have driven.

I definitely suggest test driving it again in "S" mode. The shifts are much faster. Please note, the car will revert to automatic mode once it reaches the OEM programmed shift point in the rev band. Unfortunately, the US cars shift a little sooner in the RPM band than the EURO versions but it's still cool. I hope this helps.

x-star

Passed Driver's Ed
sarahvtec said:
Yup! If you moved the gear lever to the side, then you were in Tiptronic mode. The ONLY thing cool about that mode is the car won't shift for you. You are in TOTAL control to shift up and down through gears. However, there is a lag in shifting like all Tiptronics I have driven.

I definitely suggest test driving it again in "S" mode. The shifts are much faster. Please note, the car will revert to automatic mode once it reaches the OEM programmed shift point in the rev band. Unfortunately, the US cars shift a little sooner in the RPM band than the EURO versions but it's still cool. I hope this helps.

Let me get this right, you leave it in D or S it is just like a standard automatic but, if you use the paddles while in this mode, it will shift for you.

I'm not sure if I like that. While using a stick, sometimes I like to let the engine rev a little to slow the vehicle down when coming to a stop. So, if I wanted to do that, I would need put it into Tiptronic mode when stopping then put it back over to D or S when accelerating and then use the paddles. Even then, the Tiptronic downshifts for you at a certain point doesn't it?

If this is the case I don't think I would like it very much. They should have made a mode that shifts via the paddles when, and only when, you want it to and make the shifts firm and quick. Sounds like a stick shift might be the way to go for myself. I just hate the fact that the car will go into a gear that I didn't tell it to go into. Please correct if I am wrong about anything above. Thanks.

Brian

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
To my knowledge when the car is in full manual mode (to the right) the only time it will shift for you is if the engine is about to stall or you're gonna bounce off the rev limiter, otherwise you tell it what to do.

If it's in D or S the computer will shift at it optimum point. however if you're cruising down the highway in them and oyu wanna pass, you can pull the left paddle and it will take it out of auto mode and put it into manual mode so you can choose when to shift again. After roughly 30 seconds of you not using the paddles it will revert back to shifting for you.

If i messed up a detail here and there my bad, still dont have my GTI yet

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
x-star said:
My question is, what is the deal with this DSG. To me, especially after driving it, it just seemed like a glorified Tiptronic because of the paddle shifters. The DSG seemed like it shifted just as slow and the Tritronic and there doesn't seem to be any reason other that convieniance of not having to use a clutch. IMO, a stick is the only way that you can get the real feel of a car and I just don't think that the DSG is anything other than a Tiptronic with paddles.

As you know, the DSG has nothing in common with a Auto with Tip. DSG is a manual transmission with electrically controlled conventional clutches.

I am sure you will be unable to find any report that the DSG shifts slower than an automatic. All reports indicate it shifts faster than a professional driver in a manual clutch car. That is why the 0-60 times are quicker for the DSG than a traditional manual. And the fuel consumtion is lower than either a manual or auto.

You are allowed to have an opinion, but there is no data anywhere to backup your claim the DSG shifts slower than a manual clutch trans, let alone a auto tip.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
x-star said:
I'm not sure if I like that. While using a stick, sometimes I like to let the engine rev a little to slow the vehicle down when coming to a stop. So, if I wanted to do that, I would need put it into Tiptronic mode when stopping then put it back over to D or S when accelerating and then use the paddles. Even then, the Tiptronic downshifts for you at a certain point doesn't it?

If this is the case I don't think I would like it very much. They should have made a mode that shifts via the paddles when, and only when, you want it to and make the shifts firm and quick. Sounds like a stick shift might be the way to go for myself. I just hate the fact that the car will go into a gear that I didn't tell it to go into. Please correct if I am wrong about anything above.

You need to read more about DSG. If used as intended, it does, in fact, allow engine braking. it even "blips' the throttle between shifts when needed. That is one of it's big pluses-acts just like a manual. And there is no switching of modes to do this. Just set the mode you like and drive. It will act like any transmission you want.

I might be wrong, but you comments seem directed in criticizing the DSG for some personal motive, as you have not learned much about it by reading the reports.

x-star

Passed Driver's Ed
Boy. You guys threw a lot of info out there. I'll try and make this quick.

NorthGTI. If you read what I wrote carefully, I never claimed that it shifts slower than a tiptronic. I stated that "[It] seems to shift just as slow as the tiptronic." As I have discovered by some previous post, I was in the wrong mode. I had it in tipronic mode and some of you have confirmed that that mode shifts slower than D or S.

As far as your second post, it seems like I have upset you somehow. Well, I am sorry. That was not intended as I am simply trying to get some more information about the DSG. It seems clear now that I should probably go and test drive the vehicle again to get a better feel for the DSG to determine if I like it now that I have all this new information. After all, that is what this site is all about right. I am not a DSG hater and I don't have a personal motive. I am not trying to convince myself that the DSG is garbage. I am much smarter than that and evaluate all options and take all aspects of situations into consideration before I make a definitive decision in either direction. I was simply not impressed the first time I took it out and wanted to find out what all the hype is about.

Scotaku, thanks for the input. I appreciate the post. You have presented a lot of information for me to absorb.

All in all, it seems like I was looking for the answer to why this gearbox had so much hype. I now better understand what the DSG is and why everyone likes it. Like I said before, a test drive is on the menu with this gearbox to see if I like it any better. With that being said, IMO there is still a lack of “feel” that you get from anything that is automatic. I understand about how the DSG works but I just don’t think I will be drag racing it all over town and need the shifts to happen so fast. I think even after test driving again with the DSG knowledge that I now have, I will still come to the conclusion that a sick feels much more like a “driving” car than the DSG. I hope that clears things up and I hope this thread helps people better understand the difference between the two. Maybe this should be a sticky :biggrin:

mike1947

Old Man
DSG is freaking great technology

Don't be fooled by naysayers or those that don't actually know about how great DSG is. It is specifically designed to get the best out of your turbo and allows you to pay attention to what is more important: keeping both hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road and the speedo. It is a total kick in the pants to just hold on and let her go. totally amazing.:w00t:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
A quick note, since it seems the other DSG owners have covered most of the points - the gearshift in manual (tiptronic) mode is potentially as fast as it is in S mode, but not always. It's definitely not slower. The car predicts which gear you're going to be needing next and prepares it accordingly... for instance, if I'm really revving up third, the car will preselect fourth so that when I hit the paddle the change is near instantaneous (0.08s). However, if I brake and go into second, the gearshift takes a bit longer since the even-numbers clutch needs to reselect from fourth to second; this is still pretty damn fast however.
As a comparison, the Ferrari F1 semi-auto system using a single clutch takes 0.2s to make a change, with no preselection.

It does seem from the comments that the software used in the US cars is slightly different to the UK cars. I'd like to have a go on a US GTI at some point and perhaps compare the two.

T1noandaudi

Passed Driver's Ed
sarahvtec said:

my A3 shift before redline @ gear 1and 2
for gear #3 and soo on the gearbox shift @ redline

T1noandaudi

Passed Driver's Ed
Scotaku said:
Even in D or S I have this control. If I want the car to take over, hold the + paddle down for a half second or so and the car takes over again.

i dint know that lol
soo if you hold your + paddle the car will take over back to the automatic mode?