GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question: GTi Possible oil leak?

JaycrayNZ

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2007 Golf GTi DSG about a month ago.

A day after having it, the oil light came on, so I put in 1 Litre (just over 1 quart) of oil.

Just today the oil light came back on so I checked the oil and it was very low so I just put in another litre.

Is it normal to go through a litre of oil per month? This is my first semi-powerful car so not extremely knowledgable when it comes to these things.

Thanks in advance,

James :smile:

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
No...not normal. I think the manufacturer's limit is if you go through "1lt or qt"/600 miles before they will rebuild it under warranty.

There are many saying they go through 1qt/1000 miles and will tell you that is normal...it
is not. I didn't even go through 0.5qt/5000 miles up until a couple years ago. Then it began smoking and the oil loss went down to 1qt/1500 miles. I did the rebuild at 120k miles and since then it has been 0.25qt/5k miles and I'm at 132k miles.

Losing oil is not good...means something is off.
Usually it is just valve stem seals, but can also include valve stem guides, piston rings, and turbo seal...in that order of most likelihood to be the cause. If you don't see a leak or leave spots...then it is probably something I just mentioned.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Cheers