GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for you EastERN PPL.. (IE. Toronto/Ottawa)

So, I'm applying for some co-op opportunities at school right now looking for either a 4 or 8 month placements starting in January 2010. There are some jobs available for me in Toronto, Mississauga, Ottawa, and surrounding areas.

If I do wind up scoring a job there, I am heavily considering shipping or driving my car out there from Vancouver... so I have more degrees of freedom and I could also do some traveling, sight-seeing around there during my free time. I'm told there is really so much more to experience there if u got a car.

So my question: How bad is the snow in that area, say.. during January-April? Safe to be driving a GTI around during these times? or should I be considering taking my parents' old Subbie instead..

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Last edited:

migero

Ready to race!
Do you have snow tires on your car? if in Ottawa I would recommend them. If you live in downtown T.O. I'd say you are ok on all seasons, but if you wanna travel during the winter, up north, around town, then I would say get snow tires or drive the subbie!!

PS - I've driven 1 winter without snows on my GTI and I would say its doable as long as you keep your wits about you... but this year I am getting snows so I can carve it up!!

So, I'm applying for some co-op opportunities at school right now looking for either a 4 or 8 month placements starting in January 2010. There are some jobs available for me in Toronto, Mississauga, Ottawa, and surrounding areas.

If I do wind up scoring a job there, I am heavily considering shipping or driving my car out there from Vancouver... so I have more degrees of freedom and I could also do some traveling, sight-seeing around there during my free time. I'm told there is really so much more to experience there if u got a car.

So my question: How bad is the snow in that area, say.. during January-April? Safe to be driving a GTI around during these times? or should I be considering taking my parents' old Subbie instead..

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

kfeng

Ready to race!
Winter tires are recommended for winter driving here. When you finish your co-op, take the tires with you. I helps in GVA winter too.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Ummm... You realize that Ontario is no where near the "East coast" right?... that's called NFLD, Labrador, NB, NS, PEI.... :bellyroll:

AS per your question, while Visiting the GTA a few years back I had a rental Dodge Carger (rwd), with it's stock GY Eagle RS-A's (aka the shittist all-season tires known to man)... she was slippy, tail-happy, whore... But I was smiling whenever I went driving for that very fact :biggrin:

GTI CANADIAN

Lookin for a Hottie
Car(s)
08 VW GTI RS
Holy fuck, your geographical knowledge is attrocious. Ontario is in the middle of this country.

uh, yeah TOPIC FIXED happy? >.>;

thanks for the input, yeah I already have snow tires... so i could mount them before i bring the car over or something. But how late into spring do you expect the snow to last usually?

goldn

capt. no dub
Car(s)
E91
do you have 18" huffs or 17" classix?
i wouldnt run a 18" with all seasons.
you might get away with the 17" classix with all seasons.

snow's on steelies would be about $700 new. you could always get a used set...

good vw following here, bring it with you.

v-dub89

Go Kart Champion
Snow typicaly stays around until mid to late march about, I would say. And if I were you, I'd try getting the job in either Toronto or Ottawa. These are much more interesting cities to experience than say Mississauga.

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I always swap mine off around the first week of April. The key is to wait until the temp starts staying consistently 7 degrees C or higher. Same thing with putting them on, I usually throw mine on around beginning - mid November.

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
i have 16" all seasons, they are ok

my parents and my friend had 18" All seasons, its fine

just drive safe and its ok