GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Miles...

Uberhatch

Ready to race!
I knew this guy that managed to disconnect some electronic shit under the dash of his 2006 F-150. I think he put 50+ thousand miles on it but disconnected it at like 27 which is what the unassuming buyer would see if he sold it.

I would hate to get screwed like that and i'm sure the mechanism is different from car to car... i'd say it'd be pretty darn difficult to tell but bcze1 did mention it to be nearly impossible to do. :iono:

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Do not think there is a way on our cars as the ECU is keeping track of the miles as well as something else i would guess and they both have to match or something...but if there is a way its not a easy way...

If you go in reverse does the car account of the miles? Always wondered but never wanted to actually test my theory that they do.

doublevanosrc

Feeding My Fast daily

Uthor

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI - Pk1 - Silv

MC.R

The only question i have is how does carfax get the odometer readings to begin with?
let's say they never find out you've hit 20,000 miles and you roll it back to 10,000 how would carfax know?

utekineir

Banned
The dealer selling is the one that disclosed the info about the mileage. No chance in hell i would have let her buy that car, just too fishy.