GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about lighting package

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
What did the lighting package give you over the base lights (differences, type of bulbs, etc). At some point, did all cars come with the upgraded lights, thus rendering the 'lighting package' defunct?

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
On the mk7 the LP gives you xenon low beams , cornering lights and led DRLs

The base uses halogen lowbeams, no cornering lights and halogen DRLs without the unique Halo under the projector

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I like the AFS...they're like robot eyes.:D

What's AFS? I have a SE with the Lighting Package but I'm not sure what they are.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
AFS is the adaptive front lighting system. With it, our xenon headlights swivel towards the direction the car is traveling (don't recall what the speed threshold is).

You can much more easily notice this effect when it's very dark outside. If you turn at an intersection, you may catch a glimpse of your headlights going back to their forward/straight position at the end of the turn. Or if you're going straight slowly enough to be safe and on an empty road, just turn your steering wheel left and right, and you should see the low beam moving side to side.

EDIT: here's a generic video about it: https://youtu.be/mN12Ruex3m0

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
My '17 Autobahn has the xenon, corning lights and AFS. They work beautifully, and I assumed the Autobahn trim gets these lights automatically, but do all GTIs come with xenon lights now as standard or do you still have to upgrade to the lighting package on some cars?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
My '17 Autobahn has the xenon, corning lights and AFS. They work beautifully, and I assumed the Autobahn trim gets these lights automatically, but do all GTIs come with xenon lights now as standard or do you still have to upgrade to the lighting package on some cars?
In the US, the 2017 Sport and Autobahn trims came standard with the lighting package. The SE was supposed to as well, but there were cars that came with non-LP halogens (Dutch? has a thread about his experience with this). The S was the only one guaranteed to not have LP (ie. It's not even an option).

The 2018 SE and Autobahn come with LP (now using LED instead of xenon), while the S is guaranteed to not have LP.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

LEDs on SE & up. S gets halogen projectors that at least look similar to the LED lights (cosmetically). The reflector halogens on the original Mk7's look super el-cheapo.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
AFS is the adaptive front lighting system. With it, our xenon headlights swivel towards the direction the car is traveling (don't recall what the speed threshold is).

You can much more easily notice this effect when it's very dark outside. If you turn at an intersection, you may catch a glimpse of your headlights going back to their forward/straight position at the end of the turn. Or if you're going straight slowly enough to be safe and on an empty road, just turn your steering wheel left and right, and you should see the low beam moving side to side.

EDIT: here's a generic video about it: https://youtu.be/mN12Ruex3m0

Thank you I have noticed it and do love it. I was not aware of the acronym.

jklein

newbie here, tried the search for this first...I'm sure there has to be a thread already but I'll try my luck here. Does the lighting package for the 2018 NAR Golf 1.8T also give you LED taillights? If so, is it just different coding required to get the dynamic European style taillights?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
newbie here, tried the search for this first...I'm sure there has to be a thread already but I'll try my luck here. Does the lighting package for the 2018 NAR Golf 1.8T also give you LED taillights? If so, is it just different coding required to get the dynamic European style taillights?

Welcome.

The lighting package refers to the headlights, not the tails. In the 2018s, the lighting package (or at least the upgraded headlights) would be the all LED headlights found on the upper GTI trims and the Golf R. Seeing you're in Canada, I don't know if the lighting package is an option for the 1.8T Golf up there.

As for tails, all NAR Golfs come with LED taillights now. The taillights are the same as the low-line tails found in RoW, which are not dynamic. In order to get the dynamic tails, you'll have to buy the tail light parts, maybe do a bit of wiring (or get some sort of harness), and do a bit of coding.

This thread is for the MK7 (2015 - 2017) to MK7.5 taillight retrofit, but you can find the appropriate part numbers for the dynamic taillights: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28488. Forum user JBale may know what wiring change might be required (if any) when going from 2018 NAR to dynamic RoW tails.