GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about ESP

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I've read a lot of posts where people are complaining about ESP kicking in too often. I drive hard, but rarely see it kick in. (it almost never cuts the power) It seems that the guys that are complaining about it have had their cars chipped. I wonder if the extra power is causing the ESP to kick in at inappropriate times? Is there any difference between chip companies? (i.e. Revo is worse than APR)

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
I hardly ever have it kick in, just when the ground is slippery....but turn it off if u dont like it, idk.....i dont mind it at all, at least u can turn it off 100% unlike some cars were even if u do think you turned it off it is really still on.....

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
agpatel makes a good point. It WILL kick in when it senses the car is goign to lose the road. So you probably have not been pushing your car into a situation where it will break traction. I've had my car squealing around turns w/o the ESP kicking in, but if it thinks you are about to slide, it will kick right in.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
take a bag of sand and lay it on a roundabout. There will be quite a bit of slippage there and you can see how ESP works.. that's how i got my hands on experience lol.

It's really nothing to worry about.. It's a nice safety feature but sometimes we dont want it to engage when we know what were doing that may cause some slippage.

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
At the beginning, ESP never kicked in... even though I thought I was driving hard.

One day, I took a huge 90 degree turn at 40+ mph, that's when I knew ESP kicked in. hahah

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
My point was it seems like those that have it kick in regularly have had their cars chipped. I understand how the system works. Just wondering if there is a correlation between more aggressive ESP activation and cars that have had their ECU modified.