GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem installing replacement RNS510 help.

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
Hi,
I'm installing a replacement RNS510 but its a C version and not the B version its replacing. At this stage i've tried rebooting and clearing fault codes although I keep getting the same fault below. I've checked fuse and disconnected battery without success. I have no display but it accepts the navigation DVD and when I eject the DVD the radio will play normally through speakers but only for 2 seconds before cutting out.
Has anyone whos installed the C version had any dramas with the setup?
Any ideas much appreciated. :thumbsup:

01042 - Control Module; Not Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 41
Time Indication: 0

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
After a little more research I'm being told the C version won't work on a 2006 model GTI so was wondering if anyone can verify this. If it is the case then I'll have to put it up for sale and get a b version (The unit is brand new). A swap is another option. Has anyone here put a c version into a 2006 gti? Note i have the ltest canbus gateway so thats not a problem.

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
I've seen this error before, but I don't think it relates to your display not working. Also, your reset counter is 41. Check your earlier logs to see if you had this error. Unless of your you've reset it 41 times in just trying to install the unit. Seems unlikely to me.

I have this error, but have a fully functioning unit. I figured it had something to do with my Kufatec MDI or my VIM adaptors.

DeanCorp

Ready to race!
After a little more research I'm being told the C version won't work on a 2006 model GTI so was wondering if anyone can verify this. If it is the case then I'll have to put it up for sale and get a b version (The unit is brand new). A swap is another option. Has anyone here put a c version into a 2006 gti? Note i have the ltest canbus gateway so thats not a problem.

I think this is because you have an old canbus.

"The RNS 510 was released around July 2007 in very limited supply. Generally CANBUS 2 cars with a build date of Week 22/2005 or later can have a RNS510 fitted, those cars/vans with CANBUS 1.6 require an adapter. There are two shapes of bezel one for for the Touareg and one for the other models."

buckets

Ready to race!
Hi,
I'm installing a replacement RNS510 but its a C version and not the B version its replacing. At this stage i've tried rebooting and clearing fault codes although I keep getting the same fault below. I've checked fuse and disconnected battery without success. I have no display but it accepts the navigation DVD and when I eject the DVD the radio will play normally through speakers but only for 2 seconds before cutting out.
Has anyone whos installed the C version had any dramas with the setup?
Any ideas much appreciated. :thumbsup:

01042 - Control Module; Not Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 41
Time Indication: 0

So you already had an RNS510 installed? If not, while I was poking around on VCDS the other day I noticed under the CAN gateway controller (19) you can pull up a checklist of what is installed. Maybe you could make sure Navigation is checked as "on".

AAAARRRGH32

I used to be a Pirate...
Car(s)
08 Golf R32
The Can Gateway issue is about power drain by running the newer firmware. It shouldn't affect it working...

In VCDS, try this:
19 - Can Gateway - check that navigation is checked under the installation list.

Reboot the RNS by holding down the two <> keys and speaker/star.

Check in VCDS that module 37 is accessible.

When you power on the unit, do you get the volkswagen logo etc. come up or does the video just not work at all? What about when you reboot or if you put in a firmware upgrade disc?

EDIT - by the way, I am in Perth and have a VCDS cable (CAN only, though) if you need a bit of help... (caution, I am NOT an expert)

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
UPDATE: Ok I think I have the answer but need a generous person to help me fix it. After a long discussion on VWnavi forum even though I have the latest canbus gateway (I changed it so I could install B version RNS510) a C version 510 with C version software wont work on my car due to the year of my car ad the display ot working is the tell tale sign. The easiest solution is being able to power it up on someone elses car and installing B version software and then it should work. A guy in Greece is getting a C version with B version software for his 2006 GTI and if his works then mine will once I change the software. eed to know if anyone might help me with this?
I have a VCDS annd everything in canbus is ticked correctly ie nav and radio and have 37 Navigation module.

Last edited:

zebby

Ready to race!
UPDATE: Ok I think I have the answer but need a generous person to help me fix it. After a long discussion on VWnavi forum even though I have the latest canbus gateway (I changed it so I could install B version RNS510) a C version 510 with C version software wont work on my car due to the year of my car ad the display ot working is the tell tale sign. The easiest solution is being able to power it up on someone elses car and installing B version software and then it should work. A guy in Greece is getting a C version with B version software for his 2006 GTI and if his works then mine will once I change the software. eed to know if anyone might help me with this?
I have a VCDS annd everything in canbus is ticked correctly ie nav and radio and have 37 Navigation module.

Can anyone confirm this. I am just about to buy and install a C version in MY06 GTI, and have updated canbus gateway on the way. Never heard of this problem before!!!

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
This is the information I was recieving on another forum if this helps you. You just need to make sure it has B Version (1200 not 1300) and apparently it will be fine.
Heres a linkhttp://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/14053-URGENT-RNS-510-C-Version-and-GOLF-GTI-2006

:thumbsup:

I really hope this information can all be clarified as I think with C version the only available new units now there will be more people wanting to put them in 2006 model GTI

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
Tommy has been excellent but both myself and he have to pay for shipping costs again just to swap the unit with another one. He's happy if I sell it but need to see if the one he sold to guy in Greece C version with B version SW works on his 2006 GTI.

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
I've decided to put unit up for sale for what I paid and that money will just go towards the replacement C Version unit but with the B version software I need. Its in the for sale section.

oas

badboy, so confirming that version C will not work on a 2006 Golf GTI even if you have upgraded/latest CANBUS gateway?

Last edited:

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
I ask the question, why are you upgrading from a B to a C?

oas

I haven't upgraded from my standard headunit yet

I'm looking at doing the purchase of an RNS 510, but the majority they have on eBay are Ver C.

Want to make sure when I'm spending that kind of money that it will actually work in my car