GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power loss/surging up hills

horomatangi

I am driving a relative's VW Golf Mk5 1.6 FSI Auto while on holiday. The car suffers from dramatic loss of power when accelerating from a stop or when going at speed up hills, especially after running for more than a couple of hours. Gradual acceleration seems to work better (results in fewer incidents) than hard acceleration, although on steep or long hills this tactic doesn't really work. Sometimes, the effect is "surging", i.e. alternating patterns of brief acceleration followed by loss of power.

My relative reports that local garages have been unable to determine the fault, which has been getting worse over the last couple of years.

It is really quite frightening to drive this car, so I would be grateful for any pointers.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Last edited:

TSiUG

sleeper...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Right, my bad! Didn't mean to leave out you guys with the better motor.(speaking of the fuel pump)LOL!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I would think you would have a CEL if it was running THAT poorly. I had a similar driving experience with my 2002 GTI but it was from TWO coils not firing. Of course I had a constantly flashing CEL.

horomatangi

Thanks for all the replies.

I believe the CEL has come on from time to time, and in fact did so a couple of days ago. The local garage attaches some kind of computer, checks the readings and then just clears the code, on the grounds that "these lights come on a lot" and the problem is not usually serious. One of the issues highlighted by the computer two days ago was with the fuel pressure pump. Can't remember what the other one was, but the mechanic thought neither was a serious issue.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
He's a f-ing idiot. Next time the light comes on take it to a reputable shop ir VW. It's worth paying to diagnose, and you might get bad parts replaced for free, if there's a customer service program available in your country.

gti_mk5

Ready to race!
yeah sounds a lot like a limp happening and usually can be a problem with fuel pumps blowing or bad coil packs the dudes a f cking idiot if he just clears those codes saying it happens a lot. Seriously take it to a vw dealer and have that sh t fixed and call it a day

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Thanks for all the replies.

I believe the CEL has come on from time to time, and in fact did so a couple of days ago. The local garage attaches some kind of computer, checks the readings and then just clears the code, on the grounds that "these lights come on a lot" and the problem is not usually serious. < IDIOTOne of the issues highlighted by the computer two days ago was with the fuel pressure pump. Can't remember what the other one was, but the mechanic < IDIOTthought neither was a serious issue.
WOW, GO GET IT FIXED. PROBABLY FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY!