GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Posted a review of the GTI

Eric1285

Ready to race!
I wrote up my review of the GTI after owning it for 3 months / 1600 miles. I did my best to cover every aspect of the car as well as to mention some of the more common problems and issues with it. It is VERY long as I tried my best to be thorough. Here's the basic summary:

Pros: Practical and fun to drive. Good fuel economy. Upmarket appeal. Active community of owners.

Cons: Downgraded features compared to previous years' models. Interior rattles. Slightly more expensive than competition.

The Bottom Line: Great choice if you're looking for a car that can do it all. A blast to drive without being uncomfortable day to day. Definitely recommended.

Full review can be seen here:

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/2009_Volkswagen_Gti

Took me about an hour to write it all. I started writing a book review on Facebook's Visual Bookshelf today (if you're thinking about buying StrengthsFinder 2.0, don't) which lead me to post a review on Amazon as well. Then I decided to revive my account on Epinions so I could post the review there as well...and next thing you know I'm writing a review of the GTI. Guess I got a bit carried away.

Anyway, if there are any parts of the car that you think I left out just let me know. I'd be happy to update my review for those considering a GTI.

Edit: My God...did I really just write 3500 words about the GTI?

Last edited:

Eric1285

Ready to race!
I get

"We're sorry, but this review cannot be displayed."

I fixed the link. Hope it works...the old one worked for me but it could have just been cached or something. If it doesn't work you could try getting to it manually...there's a cars tab on the front page, then VW.

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Still does not work! Need to be Register User?
Why don't you just cut and paste the freaking review here?

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be registered to see the reviews. Oh well, I don't know why it's not working. I tried using a different browser and the review doesn't show up. Maybe they need to review it or process it or something. Damn..I really could have used the $.0001 Epinions gives you everytime someone reads your review. Anyway, here goes...I told you it was long.

I purchased my 2009 VW GTI new in October this year. This will be the last year that the current MKV (Mark 5) GTI is available as the new MKVI will be debuting sometime next year. I've driven the car now for about 1600 miles and these are my intial impressions about the car. My review will be broken into the following sections, each rated out of a possible 5 points:

Exterior Features
Interior Features
Driving Experience
Overall Experience

Exterior Features 4.5/5

The VW GTI comes with several standard features. Although previous years' (2006-2007) models included headlamp washers, the 2008 and 2009 models do not. However, you do get Xenon headlamps, fog lamps, heated winshield washers, and power side mirrors as standard. I found the standard Xenon headlamps to be a nice touch on a car of this class.

Unfortunately, as is seemingly the standard nowadays you do not get very many choices for color. You can choose from Candy White (my choice), Black Magic Pearl, Tornado Red, or United Grey. There is an optional body kit which I did not purchase. The standard side mouldings and rear valence come in matte black, which add a nice contrast to the rest of the car. There is also a small roof spoiler that houses the third brake light. I have read that it is a common problem for condensation to build up in the third brake light and that because of VW's design of the spoiler and light assembly it can be very difficult to have the problem fixed. Apparently you must remove the entire spoiler in order to access the third brake light, a process which inevitably causes some paint damage. I have not yet experienced this problem since my car is relatively new, but I will be keeping an eye out for it.

Perhaps the most striking feature of the MKV GTI is the red stripe that highlights the bottom portion of the front grill. This is a design cue harking back to the original MKI GTI and I personally find it very appealing. The upcoming MKVI GTI will also have a similar feature, although I find the redesigned front end to be less attractive than that of the current model.

The GTI comes standard with 17" Denver alloys. I opted for the upgraded package which includes an electric sunroof and 18" Hufeisen (horseshoe) wheels. Although a lot of GTI owners tend to modify their cars and swap out the wheels I actually really like the look of the Hufeisen wheels. They have a machined aluminum finish and fit the car quite well. You do have to be careful about scratching or curbing the wheels however as the low profile tires leave them very exposed. I accidentally brushed up against a 1.5" high curb down a very narrow street and this resulted in a minor scratch on the edge of my wheels. Due to the machined finish it can be somewhat expensive to have the damage repaired (I've seen estimates of between $75-150).

The rear hatch and doors (I have a 2-door model) are all nicely weighted as you would expect on a German car. There is a distinct quality "thunk" sound every time you close one of the doors. The rear hatch also has two handholds on the inside, which I was told by the dealer are for pulling the hatch down. Apparently you aren't supposed to close the rear hatch just by pulling down on the bottom. The hatch opening is a good size although I doubt if you'll be hauling a 42" or larger television home in it. You'd probably have better luck fitting a 32" television in through the hatch opening. I do like the design of the latch for opening the hatch though, as it's integrated with the rear VW emblem. Push the top half of the emblem in and the hatch opens (not all the way, you have to pull it open) assuming it is unlocked.

The only downside I have experienced is that the rear hatch gets quite dirty. I take meticulous care of my cars and even after just a few days the rear hatch will typically be covered in dirt. This is due to the shape of the car and the resulting aerodynamics, which tend to pull dirt up off the road or tires and deposit it right on the hatch. I think the optional mud guards may help prevent this although I wish VW would have included them as standard.

Interior Features 4/5

I purchased my GTI with the optional Autobahn package. This includes leather sport seats, leatherette trim, matching leather headrests, and something called crash active head restraints. All GTI's come standard with front and side airbags. I know my car has curtain airbags as well but I'm not sure if those are standard or if those are what the crash active head restraints are. Standard interior features also include heated seats (new for 2009), multifunction steering wheel, multifunction display, and Sirius satellite radio installed. Power windows are also standard and are of the one-touch up/down variety often found in much more expensive cars. Definitely a nice touch.

If you choose not to purchase the Autobahn package you will get cloth seats instead. These have the very cool Interlagos plaid pattern. Either way, the seats are very supportive with adjustable side bolsters for when you're canyon carving or having some fun on twisty back roads. The seats themselves are not powered, aside from the lumbar support. This is a minor inconvenience if you're not the only person driving your car. I've not yet taken a long road trip in the car but the seats have remained very comfortable for trips up to an hour and a half. I can't imagine them being anything but for longer trips. The leather used is smooth matte black leather. After 1600 miles the leather on the driver's seat has stretched a little bit. I will be periodically applying leather cleaner and conditioner and hopefully this will keep them in good condition.

The multifunction steering wheel is one of the best parts of the interior. It has a relatively small diameter but is nice and thick and wrapped in leather. The 9 and 3 positions are contoured and covered in perforated leather. Buttons for controlling the stereo and multifunction display are included. In order to control the stereo however, the multifunction display must be set to the Audio menu. The volume can be controlled at any time and there is also a mute button. Sadly the phone button is not activated on US models and requires the purchase of a costly bluetooth kit. The steering wheel has a flat bottom which is tremendously useful when entering or exiting the car if you're slightly larger than average (I'm 6'1" 205 lbs).

Speaking of accomodations, the car is very roomy. I've done the standard "put the driver's seat in your position and see how you fit behind it" test and am surprised to say that there is ample room in the backseat for someone of my size, even with the driver's seat set to my position. I wouldn't want to be stuck back there for a long road trip, but it wouldn't be a terrible place to be for an hour or less. Getting into the rear seat (remember, I have a 2-door) requires a bit of flexibility though it should be fine for kids and smaller people.

My car came with the optional RNS-510 DVD navigation system which includes the multimedia data interface. Let me start with the navigation system, which is one of the best systems I have ever used. It is much better than any Garmin unit and is also better than the factory navigation on the 2004 Lexus LS430 (the only other factory system I have experience with). You have a choice of several different views for the map, including an angled bird's eye view. There's also a 3D feature which I have not yet tried. The system is able to locate GPS satellites very quickly (as opposed to some Garmin units which can take up to a minute or more). It is also very quick at calculating routes, with most routes that I have tried being programmed in less than 10 seconds. The one thing I do not like is the on-screen keyboard used for entering information. Instead of displaying a QWERTY keyboard which everyone is familiar with, it displays the letters alphabetically. I have seen pictures of this particular navigation unit with a QWERTY keyboard, but I have not been able to figure out how to enable this function. Overall though, the navigation unit is very easy to use and does not suffer from any odd delays or pauses even when zooming and panning around the map.

Last edited:

Eric1285

Ready to race!
The other feature of the navigation unit is the built in hard drive. It's a 30 GB hard drive of which 10GB are used for maps and 20GB (more like 18 or 19) are available for storing media. I really like this function and have loaded most of my MP3 collection onto the system. It's fairly easy to browse your library from the touchscreen (depending on how you've structured your file system) and it's a lot nicer to control your music through the nav system or steering wheel controls than it is to try and fumble around with your iPod and an adapter while you're driving. Of course, if you wish to use your iPod the multimedia data interface will allow you to do so at the cost of a $70 cable. VW does include a USB cable though, so you can connect USB based MP3 players (no, the iPod cable will not work - you must buy the iPod specific cable) or even a USB thumb drive loaded with music. You cannot however copy music from the MDI onto the hard drive - this must be done via a CD or DVD.

Previous years' MKV GTIs came with dual zone climate control. This feature was eliminated in 2008 in the name of cost cutting and really puts a damper on the look of the center dash. The simple switch dials that they replaced the climate control system with look cheap, although they feel very sturdy. There's nothing to complain about regarding the function of the system - just the dials don't look as nice as the ones that came with the old dual zone system. The A/C and heater are quite powerful and will cool down / heat up the car very quickly. Similarly the heated seats can get quite toasty and rarely take more than 2 minutes to heat up.

A few complaints that I have about the interior are the center console storage unit and the rattles and odd noises the car makes. The center console is miniscule. Good luck fitting anything more than a cell phone and a skinny wallet inside. I wanted to bring a banana to work the other day as a mid-morning snack and had to leave it on the passenger seat because it would not fit in the center console. There really is very little storage room in the GTI. You get the two bins along the side of the door which are fairly spacious, a small glovebox (which has a nifty dedicated shelf for storing the leather owner's manual), a sunglasses compartment which is nowhere near large enough (especially with the current trend of oversized glasses) and the miniscule center console bin. If you're one of those people who like to keep everything they need for their life in their car, you had better double check to see if the door pockets are large enough for you because they are the most commodious storage areas in the car (aside from the hatch area of course).

The other issue I have with the interior is the assortment of odd noises that the car makes even with just 1600 miles on the odometer. Many of these are well documented, which makes me wonder why VW hasn't bothered to fix them yet. So far I have experienced a rattle coming from the hatch area (which I'm told is the hatch shelf/cover thing bouncing around), a dash vent rattle, a squeaking noise coming from the seatbelt adjuster above and behind my head, and a rattle from the passenger side footwell that is supposedly caused by a fuel line. I knew these would be issues when I bought the car (VW's have a reputation for rattles) and to be honest it's only a minor annoyance. I suppose I might not have noticed all these rattles if I hadn't been listening for them, but they are definitely there. Other than the rattles the build quality seems to be very good and the materials used (other than the leatherette trim which seems a bit cheap) are very high quality.

The rear hatch provides a decent amount of space for hauling things around. It's not a huge area, but it should be more than enough for every day trips to the grocery store or hauling things back and forth from work. If you need more room the rear seats do fold down completely flat. Once folded down, the cargo area is much larger. I haven't had a chance to really load the car up with junk yet but I did buy the hatchback because of its ability to carry things around. Unless you have an extraordinary amount of stuff to move or frequently transport very large gear, the GTI should be enough to suit any single person. Families on the other hand may need more space than the GTI can offer.

Driving Experience 5/5

This is where the GTI really shines. Coming from a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry, the GTI is just a blast to drive. The 2.0 liter turbocharged inline 4 is a fantastic engine. Although VW lists it as producing 200 hp and 208 lb-ft of torque, I suspect they were being a bit conservative as most people who have run their GTI's on a dynamometer have been reporting 180-190 hp at the wheels which would suggest the car is really making upwards of 215-220 hp.

Before I continue, I should mention that I did not buy the GTI expecting it to be a sports car. I chose the GTI because I wanted a well rounded and practical car that is also fun to drive. As such, everything I say about the driving experience will be from this viewpoint. Please do not think that because I say it is a fantastic drive that it is going to stand up to a purpose-built sports car, because it's not and you will be sorely disappointed if that's what you expect from it.

I should also mention that I purchased the car with the 6 speed manual transmission. VW also offers a automaticly controlled manual gearbox called DSG (direct-shift gearbox) which is a revolutionary system that actually has 2 clutches and a fancy computer that does the shifting for you. While a great feature (it shifts quicker than any human can possibly shift and as a result will actually be faster than a regular manual) I was concerned about the long-term reliability of this new gearbox and chose to stick with the standard 6 speed. I have read that a broken DSG transmission can cost several thousand dollars to repair and the 40,000 mile service for the DSG gearbox costs several hundred dollars as well. It's also a $1200 option which is a significant amount of money.

During everyday driving, the car is fairly comfortable. Due to its sporty nature you are going to feel the bumps in the road but it's definitely not uncomfortable. If you're looking for a soft ride though, this is not the car for you. The suspension is set up to be a bit on the stiff side when compared to the average car. This however pays dividends in the corners where the stiffer suspension allows you to take a corner at higher speeds without having the car lean tremendously towards one side. Here, the supportive seats will come into play as you find yourself taking corners well above the posted recommended speeds. Find a good backroad with some twists and bends and you can easily entertain yourself for an entire afternoon. I would recommend the performance summer tires if you live in a region where it doesn't snow, as I have the Dunlop all season tires and have already managed to find (and very slightly overstep) their limits of adhesion.

On the topic of snow, we had our first snowfall here in Jersey a few days ago and I had my first chance to try the GTI in slippery conditions. As I mentioned, I have the Dunlop all season tires and they performed well enough in the snow. By the time I hit the roads they had already been plowed, but there was still some slush around. I only lost traction a few times while trying to get the car up my driveway. Other than that, the tires seemed to do okay on the road although I certainly did not test their limits. If you live in an area where it snows more than a few times a year I would recommend a dedicated set of snow tires.

I have had a few opportunities to test the straight line speed and acceleration of the car. VW reports that the car will do 0-60 in 7 seconds, which I again feel is a conservative estimate. From a standstill, flooring the car through the first two gears provides a very respectable burst of acceleration. It's not a drag racer, but it's by no means slow. I suspect that the car's wide torque band (and pure abundance of torque) make it feel a bit faster than it is. Be warned however, that flooring the car in first car will make the tires spin. The same thing goes in second gear if the ground is in any way wet. There's plenty of passing power on the highway as long as you shift down a gear or two.

Overall, the car has met every one of my expectations in terms of the driving dynamics. It is a very fun car to drive and if you have never owned a sporty or sports car before you will find yourself looking for twisty roads to carve up and stop lights to take off from. The car rides comfortably enough for when you're just commuting to and from work, yet allows for plenty of fun when the mood strikes. I have found it to be a very nice compromise between comfort, practicality,
and fun.

Overall Experience 4.5/5

After 3 months of ownership I must say that I am every bit as pleased with the car as the day I brought it home. There are a few very minor annoyances but they are not enough to spoil the car's numerous strengths. This car has been everything I was looking for - relatively comfortable, practical, and lots of fun to drive. It even gets very good fuel economy compared to my old Toyota Camry. I have been averaging 28 mpg in mostly local suburban driving with maybe 10-15% of my miles coming on the highway. I have no doubt that with some more economic driving habits I could acheive 30 mph or better.

Eric1285

Ready to race!
I highly recommend this car for anyone who is looking for an all purpose vehicle and places a slight emphasis on the driving experience. It is perhaps best suited for young college aged kids or recent graduates. While it does cost a bit more than its competition and offers slightly less performance (Dodge SRT-4, Mazda MS3) it does have a slightly more upmarket image as evidenced by some of the standard features that are usually found only on luxury cars. There is also a very vibrant VW owners community as well as an active community of tuners and modifiers. If performance is more than just a little important to you there are things that can be done to make the car faster and more agile at a reasonable cost. Personally, I find the car to be very capable as it is and do not see the need to modify it for the time being. Time may change that, but for now I am very pleased with my purchase.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
One thing I noticed. You said it was Ultimate Grey. At least 06-08, it was called United Grey. Maybe 09 is different?

Other than that, great review.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
I agree with all of it except for the RNS510s Nav ability. I have used it for about an hour on and off in various new VWs, and I feel that my $190 Garmin 205W far surpasses it in terms of ease-of-use, speed, and value. the Garmin has MANY more POIs than the 510, can locate addresses faster, uses a QWERTY keyboard layout, and the letters don't disapear from you. I have attempted to enter several VALID addresses into the 510 but it will not let me complete them.

the 510 is great for everything else, but if there was one in my Jetta, I would still use my garmin instead.

Eric1285

Ready to race!
I agree with all of it except for the RNS510s Nav ability. I have used it for about an hour on and off in various new VWs, and I feel that my $190 Garmin 205W far surpasses it in terms of ease-of-use, speed, and value. the Garmin has MANY more POIs than the 510, can locate addresses faster, uses a QWERTY keyboard layout, and the letters don't disapear from you. I have attempted to enter several VALID addresses into the 510 but it will not let me complete them.

the 510 is great for everything else, but if there was one in my Jetta, I would still use my garmin instead.

Hm, is the 205W a new unit? We have a 360W or something like that and I hate it. There's no QWERTY keyboard either and it often takes over a minute to find a satellite. It's significantly slower at calculating routes as well. I'm not sure about POI's and routing because I thought they used the same map information (Navteq on the RNS-510).

I actually like that it blanks out the letters for you as you enter an address. Makes it easier to find each letter on the God forsaken alphabetical keyboard layout. Thus far I have not had any problems with it not being able to find an address. Then again, I never ran into those problems with the Garmin either.

As far as value for money, it's certainly a steep price to pay ($1800 for the DVD navigation and MDI) but my research showed that in most cases 60% or more of the value of a factory navigation system is recovered at resale. I found the cost to be quite reasonable when compared to the cost of a comparable standalone unit ($400-500) and its depreciation over an anticipated 6-7 year period of ownership (80-90%) plus the other features of the RNS-510 that I use every day. In the long run I'm probably out a few hundred dollars, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for the benefits of having an integrated unit that does a lot more than a standalone piece will do.

drwzer

Ready to race!
Good review. Just want to add that the dual zone climate system was only eliminated in the US. Here in Canada it was added and I'm pretty sure it's available everywhere else the car sold. Realize most readers will probably be from US but some might not; anyway good job.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Outstanding review.

How about road noise? Do you have any comparisons to other makes/models to make? I'm especially interested in comparisons in interior, ride, and road-noise to the Mazda3.
Power windows are also standard and are of the one-touch up/down variety often found in much more expensive cars.
Are the windows one-touch for BOTH up and down? Or just down? Is this true for both passenger-side and driver's, or just driver's side? (How about the rears on the 4-door?)

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Outstanding review.

How about road noise? Do you have any comparisons to other makes/models to make? I'm especially interested in comparisons in interior, ride, and road-noise to the Mazda3.
Are the windows one-touch for BOTH up and down? Or just down? Is this true for both passenger-side and driver's, or just driver's side? (How about the rears on the 4-door?)

I've heard many people say that the road noise is louder than on other cars. Truth be told I haven't noticed it. The only cars I can really compare it to are my old Camry and my sister's Accord. I believe both were slightly quieter but I would certainly expect them to be given that they are a slightly different market segment. The one noise I definitely noticed is the engine - the noise pipe assembly really amplifies the engine noise inside the cabin. So far it hasn't bothered me as it reminds me that I'm driving a sporty car. I haven't driven the Mazda 3, so unfortunately I can't offer you a comparison there.

The windows are one-touch for both up and down. I'm pretty sure they're one touch on both sides but I'll have to check for you later since I haven't exactly spent much time in the passenger's seat. I have a 2-door so I don't know if the 4-door has one-touch controls all around. Maybe someone else can chime in here.