GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible roll-cage Project

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
Im toying with the idea of building a removable roll-cage for my gti for a graded final project in an engineering class that i am taking next sememster. I figured if i had to build something that will take some time and fabrication, it might as well be for the dub :rolleyes:

I dont really track/ race my car so i know it might seem a little pointless, but like i said its for a grade and i think it'd be a fun project that i would enjoy working on. This thread will eventually turn into a full build thread.

I'd like to get some opinions and ideas perhaps. If anyone of you have some nice ones, feel free to post them up for reference/ discussion.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.:thumbsup:

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I feel like a cage that is removable is not really doing much good.

And like you said pointless because you don't track your car.

I'm not saying don't do it, but I'd like to see you come up with something better.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
Sounds like an interesting project for a grade. Something to consider is weight as well as strength. I'm betting that a true cage has specifications defined by the sancioning body of the race you would enter. You might start there to determine tubing size and wall thickness etc. Perhaps someone at the section about competition can steer you toward these specifications.

As a GTI driver I strive to reduce the weight of my car but still have it a decent daily driver. But I have wondered how much weight a simple cage would add. For chassis rigidity I have added the Unibrace and UB unibrace, but a full cage would stiffent the chassis much more of course as well as the obvious crash protection.

One thing to concider is that if you have a cage section where you head could bump into it in a crash it is going to hurt real bad unless you have a helmet on.

Good luck on your project!

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
feel free to throw me some ideas. I havent really thought about it too much so im open for suggestions. I really like that "look" if you know what i mean.

besides, it could be sold to someone who could make better use of it after i get my grade.

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like an interesting project for a grade. Something to consider is weight as well as strength. I'm betting that a true cage has specifications defined by the sancioning body of the race you would enter. You might start there to determine tubing size and wall thickness etc. Perhaps someone at the section about competition can steer you toward these specifications.

As a GTI driver I strive to reduce the weight of my car but still have it a decent daily driver. But I have wondered how much weight a simple cage would add. For chassis rigidity I have added the Unibrace and UB unibrace, but a full cage would stiffent the chassis much more of course as well as the obvious crash protection.

One thing to concider is that if you have a cage section where you head could bump into it in a crash it is going to hurt real bad unless you have a helmet on.

Good luck on your project!

Absolutely. It definitely would not be full front to back but more a mid to rear section. I'll try to find a pic for reference

UberJAY

Go Kart Champion
roll-cage.jpg

Llike this. Something that wouldnt be too in the way i guess for passengers in the rear. Painted CW or polished. The orange one minus the x beam if you can picture what im getting at. Something aesthetically pleasing.

Attachments

• roll cage.JPG
    roll cage.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 1,056

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
that's no roll cage.. thats just a roll bar, and kinda usless actually. If you're gonna do it, either do a full cage, or do something else for a project.. no sense half assing it

LFC RTK

Passed Driver's Ed
that's no roll cage.. thats just a roll bar, and kinda usless actually. If you're gonna do it, either do a full cage, or do something else for a project.. no sense half assing it

I agree with this, the only thing this would be effective at would be killing any passengers that were in your car if you did roll it. Unless your passengers wear helmets whilst you drive.