GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plastic burning/curry smell from engine bay

dsgnr

Hi everyone, first post on here so hopefully this hasn't been covered before.

Almost 2 months ago now, I took ownership of an '07 MK5 R32 DSG. Since taking ownership, after a good 15 miles of driving there seems to be a hot burning plastic/curry type smell coming from the engine bay, then coming into the cabin either through the windows or the vents.

I thought I was having an overheating issue and things were simply getting too hot. I left the car running for half an hour, just idling to see if the fans would come on. Which they did. Both came on full blast after around 25 minutes.

I have an error in VCDS about refrigerant level too low, so I'm guessing my A/C needs gassing as the compressor doesn't turn on (neither do the fans) when air con is turned on so I guess that answers that one.

Now I know the car isn't overheating, I am trying to fathom where the source of the smell is coming from. It's definitely coming from around the area of the fans which is why I tested the fans so vigorously in case the motor was burning out or something.

Kinda stuck for ideas really. Can't see any coolant leaks and my levels are fine.

Anyone come across this before or similar? The only thing I can think of is one of the hoses have a split and leaking to atmosphere? Although I'd have thought I'd see a leak on the drive.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

dsgnr

Definitely no bags under the car.

The A/C compressor doesn't kick in which i think is due to the low refrigerant level error I have. So I presume the fans don't come on if the A/C isn't kicking in? So no there isn't any cold any but I think that's due to the above

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Definitely no bags under the car.

The A/C compressor doesn't kick in which i think is due to the low refrigerant level error I have. So I presume the fans don't come on if the A/C isn't kicking in? So no there isn't any cold any but I think that's due to the above

Actually if you hit a plastic bag with your exhaust it instantly melts on to your exhaust and coats it burning off a bit each time you drive. You won't see a "bag" hanging off etc. You pretty much have to let it burn off.

dsgnr

Ah okay. I didn't see any residue of any kind. I jacked the car up last week and it looked clean.

Also the smell is coming from the fan area underneath the ducting going to the airbox

fastwire

Ready to race!

dsgnr

Lol should have a VW sign underneath.

Seriously though, I can't find a source of the smell. Perishing radiator hose(s) maybe?