GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Past cars owned and impressions

Stinger

Ready to race!
I'll start, from first to recent:

1975 Renault 4L - My island car (lived in the West Indies), no doors, rusted to hell and painted in the yellow, red, green rasta colors... Girls loved it and so did I.
1981 Talbot Sunbeam - Total POS
1975 Autobianchi Abarth - The funnest 70 hp/ 1k lbs you'll never drive. Could lift it on 2 wheels in tight turns.
1972 Datsun 510 - My 1st heavily modded car. Ended up costing me a college student fortune (blown engine, 2 accidents,...ouch!)
old Subaru Outback - Perfect, solid work car for grad school in Denver.
1999 Subaru Outback - Good, solid car and appropriate while living in Australia. My first "feels like an adult" car. Heavy gas guzzler though.
2006 Peugeot 307 wagon - 1st car purchased new in Australia. Light and functional; very happy with it.
2004 BMW X3 - Meh. My wife wanted it when we moved back to the US. After wanting one for years, I discovered I didn't like BMWs.
2011 VW GTI Mk6 - My midlife crisis car. Modded and loving it but surprisingly unreliable.

At times I rod motorbikes instead of cars:

1972 Fantic Motors Cabalero - Modded like crazy, 50 cc dirt bike. My first vehicle at 14.
Honda XR 500 with street tires- Still my favorite bike.
Yamaha SR 600 - Purchased new, put on a cool aqua color on it and got side swiped by a car. End of it.
1982 Honda CB900F - heavily modded. My monster bike and last one.

Last edited:

jdmdaddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Many of these I owned at the same time..here it goes :

• 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo - not suitable for a 17 year old..end of story
  • 1998 Chevy cavalier - SUCKED
  • 1991 Toyota Celica Alltrac - felt good to have an AWD car
  • 1995 Lexus GS300 - first "family" car. Did the whole "VIP" thing. Had it until 235K then sold it
  • 1991 Civic SI - commuter/beater
  • 1990 Civic sedan - commuter/beater
  • 1994 Toyota Corolla - commuter/beater
  • 2004 Subaru WRX STi - Not much I can say. It was pretty heavily modded..
  • 2003 Honda Odyssey - family hauler
  • 2007 G35S sedan - hated it. Owned it for 6 mo. and then found a....
  • 2009 Forester XT - Turned it into a fast SUV. Realized how much I missed AWD! However, MPG's were absolutely horrendous.
  • 2014 Golf TDI (current) - I love this thing. Not fast, but very solid, overall fit and finish are amazing.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
1990 toyota corolla 5mt - first car that I've only had for a year, hand me down from cousins at it was learn to how to drive manual to being with. Slow, need i say more? died on the road one day when i was 17.
2004 Acura TSX Auto - moms old car as a hand me down. better than corolla for sure, still slow (when i thought it was fast lol), comfortable and a bit less fun than my mk6, but gets boring after a long drive.
My mk6 - lot more torquier than tsx, nimble, fun, practical etc. more fun to drive and looks clean after i modded it, just last september, mk6 was finito due to some distracted driver.
mk7 gti - compared to mk6, it felt like a luxury car, car is pretty much like stage 1 mk6 while carrying 400 ibs of stuff. more comfortable, handles/less body roll than my mk6 with dg springs. huge improvement over the 6.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
1989 Chevy Corsica 5 speed 2.8, was relatively quick for a 4 door family car
1989 Mustang GT 5.0 5 speed, was actually quick, 3:73 gears and a few goodies.
1996 Firebird Formula WS6 5.7 6 speed, this car was 1 of 524, sister car to the Firehawk
1979 AMC Spirit winter beater 4.3L Jeep motor, collapsed lifter and blown brake booster.
1973 GMC Jimmy K5, 350, with a 4 speed granny L gear. Full convertible, had been nearly fully restoed but needed floor pans.
2007 Sierra 2500HD 6.6 LBZ with Allison auto, ran 14.5 in the 1/4 mile at 3,200ft. Still have the truck for hauling dirtbikes and a boat.
2010 Camaro SS, 6 speed, Inferno Orange, fast but my wife hated driving it.
2012 GTI DSG, wifes car now, Stage 2
2014 M235i, my daily now, Stage 1 JB4

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
1993 Ford Taurus automatic: This car was a POS but it was free from my parents, whatever. It was really reliable.

1997 Honda Civic manual: I modified the suspension/brakes/wheels/tires a lot on this and did really well in autox. Overall a fun car, but no power.

2012 VW GTI manual: My GTI was really solid, I liked it. Practical, fun and stylish.

1990 Mazda Miata manual: These cars are obviously fun as hell. Mine had 215k miles and was kind of falling apart so I sold it due to lack of time to make it right. I'll probably own Miatas again.

2003 Chevy Poorvette 50th Anniversary Edition manual: Awesome motor, awesome grip, awesome looks, shitty interior, shitty ride.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
2002 Volvo S60 2.0T -

Fun car, it was pretty unreliable unfortunately although I bought it at 97k.

2009 WRX:

Most unreliable car I have ever owned, 2 motors in the course of my ownership that were both deemed warrantyable... Spot welds from the clutch assembly ripped away from the firewall... Among other problems. Master Cylinder so went out. Still one of my favorite. Super fast, loved the seats, lots of space. Clutch went out too.
This was my first manual car so I accept the clutch going out as my fault.

2005 Sti:

Bought it with a built motor with 110k miles on the chassis, 8k on motor, 110k on the trans. The transmission case cracked where the clutch input shift went in...it was grinding in 4th though so I replaced the trans with a JDM version 8 trans. Thermostat issue, intercooler hoses being cut by the fan...
I knew this would be a project when I bought it. It was beat up, cigarette burns etc inside it, but the motor was worth it to me.
Beautiful by the time I was done with it, sold it because I was afraid to blow another Subaru motor.

2012 GTi:

Great car thus far. Knock on wood not a lot of issues. Clutch is slipping, which sucks but I'm replacing it. Fun car, slow compared to my others but it's quite agile and handles well in corners. At stage 2 it's just fast enough for me, and it's pretty.

littleturbodub

Ready to race!
First car was a 1993 Acura Legend, got it in high school at the age of 16 and thought it was the shit. Put a cat back and intake on it, drove the piss out of it until my I sold it at 141K (5 years later). It was a decent car, hit 135mph once and it blew my mind.

2nd car was purchased on my 21st birthday. It was a 2003 1.8T Jetta GLS 5spd fully loaded from Manheim auction in Pennsylvania. Car was green light and the 2nd I drove it, something was wrong. The turbo was blown and the arbitration office at Manheim put the blame on the dealer, and the dealer gave me me a refund.

2 months later (Oct 2009) picked up a 2001 Jetta 2.0 base model 5spd. That's when the modding and VW life began. Car was slammed on Audi fat fives. Car was fun and reliable. Sold it with 130K miles.

Purchased my 2004.5 Jetta GLI 6spd Lagoon Blue from carmax auction for $6k, car had 101K on it. Modded it, slammed it, etc...
Car was purchased December 2012 and got totaled in January 2014. *miss this car to this day still and I believe it was the best VW I ever owned*

February 2014 bought my mk6 gti 2dr 6spd. Used with 22K for $20K. Modded it a week later and it hasn't stopped.

In June of 2014 I didn't realize I already put 10K miles on it. So I bought my brothers first car, '99 Corolla auto fully loaded, and now that's my beater/daily. Car is cheap to maintain, gas is great, and very reliable. Not fast at all, but who cares. Heater and AC work, that's all I care about along with the head unit having an aux port
Gti is in the garage and doesn't get driven much

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
1982 Cadillac Cimarron - it was cheap and sort of ran, not much else to say.

1982 Pontiac Grand Prix - actually not that bad; the interior had held up over the years, had I been more mechanically inclined at the time it would have been fun with a V-8 swap.

1987 Pontiac Grand Am - it had a V-6 and I thought it was fast. It lasted two hours when the oil pump crapped itself and it spun a rod bearing. I lucked out and was able to force the dealership that did the shoddy engine rebuild to take it back due to a paperwork error.

1991 Geo Metro - it was the perfect car for me at the time. Then I hydrolocked the engine and bent a rod. Got that fixed and drove it around the country for a while before a bent valve taught me how to work on cars. Then drove it around some more until it finally died bouncing off of trees in a green belt until it was too wrecked to keep moving. As far as I know it's still there.

1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU - fun car, first clutch job. Bought the car for cheap at a shady car dealership. Ate an apex seal at about 180k miles when I dumped it.

1989 Mazda RX-7 Convertible - loved it, had it for a few years, traded it on a Nissan (held onto it through the next couple cars) when it started acting up.

1991 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T - extraordinarily rare car with the 2.2 liter DOHC Turbo III with Lotus designed cylinder head (250 ever made, IIRC) . 290 whp with only and exhaust and manual boost controller. This car was a beast for it's day. Unfortunately it was also exceptionally finicky and unreliable. Cracked heads and thrown timing belts were common.

2002 Subaru WRX - fun car, quick. I'd love to have another one, but I'd go for the wagon if I did it again. This is the only car I managed to wreck.

2002 Nissan Sentra Spec-V - chirps 3rd, yo. Fun car, better than it got credit for being. The torquey engine and mechanical limited slip were nice.

1990 Acura Integra - I needed a cheap beater. Fun car, but the air conditioner didn't work. I should have turned it into a track car, but I sold it and bought...

1999 Hyundai Tiburon - awful, miserable car. But it was reliable. It served as my daily driver when I had the next car. Ultimately it died, having been rear ended at an intersection.

2004 Subaru WRX STi - I'm not going to write all I can about how great this car was/is. It was such a joy to run down Corvettes and Boxsters at the track. The AWD system with the trick center diff allowed you to do things that felt like cheating. All the magazines said it was a ball of understeer, because none of them knew how to drive it. Turn the steering wheel to where you want to go, mash the throttle, and enjoy the slide. Amazing. Then the Hyundai died and I had to drive it every day... and it wore me out. Traded it in on...

2010 Volkswagen GTI - it's not the thrill ride the STi was, but after over five years I still love it as much as the day I bought it, if not more. It has been very reliable, very fun. Exactly what I needed.

2007 Camry XLE - wife's car, has the V-6, not as bad to drive as you might think. Fantastic road tripper. Turns like a battleship, but if you don't ask it to change directions too quickly it handles quite gracefully. Part of me wants to get sport tires and upgraded brake pads and do a track day. With the V-6 it could surprise a few folks. The V-6 is lovely.

I think I remembered them all....

Brendon

Ready to race!
1997 Eclipse Spyder AWD - faster than a cheetah on cocaine but didn't handle all the great. It was a straight-line and dig master though.

Wykdtron

Ready to race!
1987 Chrysler New Yorker-Lent to me from Grandma until I could buy a car. Straight up cruiser with crushed red velvet interior and prism hood ornament. Car was like a couch and handled smoothly.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville- Perfect First Car bought from Mother. average 26 mpg. Not slow not fast and Could load 6 people inside. Had sporty suspension so handled pretty well.

1994 Chevy Blazer K1500- Dad traded this to me to give Bonneville to younger sister. Loved this thing and still miss it. 8-12 mpg (ouch) but unstopable and could go anywhere. Rust ate floor and frame up at 280000. If no rust happened there is a good chance id still have it today. The 350 was removed a placed in a friends Suburban that is still running with 500000 miles!

2002 Buick Lesabre- POS!! bought with 50000 miles and drove until 65000. Electrical problems, window regulators constantly breaking, tranny slipping, intake plenium exploded. When it worked it got 27-29 mpg and was comfy. Dumped it after 1.5 yrs.

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon (5 spd)- Could haul things, 23-26 mpg, was only fun to drive in the winter. Handled well and seemed fast up until you hit 60. Head gasket leaked a little and burned 1qt of oil every 2500 miles. Drove it for 2.5 (30000 miles) yrs and Sold for more than I paid for it! Had short shifter installed and custom audio setup cause sound system was shit, Also interior so so boring.

2011 VW GTI 4 door DSG(current ride)- I know alot of hate is thrown at the GTI on this forum but this car is what I needed before I inevitably have kids and need something big and boring for the family. Stock was meh but Stage 1 made this thing awesome. It can haul my wife and I and still gets 26-31 mpg. Handles well, lots of tire spin with winter wheels. TCS is useless in winter so needs to be turned off. It does have a few rattles but much less then every car I owned minus subaru. Also Superior interior and love the plaid interior.

Not mine but have driven often

2008 Dodge Charger base (wifes car I made her sell)-
2.7 liter V6. This car was a pig. The 20 ft u-haul I used to move with was faster. Engine always sounded like it was gonna explode. 18-23mpg awful. Handled worse than a U-haul and braking was down right scary. Worst part is car was in excellent shape minus some bruises. Sold it to a dealer that wanted used cars for more than my Craigslist posting lol and it sat at dealer lot for 6 months and sold for 2 grand less than we were paid : ). I will see seats were comfy and stereo was excellent.

2013 Jetta Sportwagen S (wifes new car)- I can honestly say I do like this car. the 5 cylinder may not be fast but its got enough power and actually sounds pretty good! It can haul a lot when the seats down and gets 26-32mpg. Its easy to work on and probably will be my car at some point if we have kids. Ill get the wife an SUV and trade the gti at that point : (

2012 Roush Mustang RS3 (fathers fun car)- Picked up used at a Honda dealer cause original owner lost his ass on it and had to trade for an accord lol. This thing is stupid fast and unlike the gt500 actually handles like a proper track car. Clutch is heavy as hell, braking is nuts (whiplash easily). Got it up to 188 mph on a track. You can hear it coming for miles when you step on the gas but its quiet when its idling or just cruising. Blind spot central. I will end saying this car will get you into real trouble real quick. Interior is meh and chrome pieces reflect too much sun!

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
1995 Dodge Stratus- My first car. I purchased it will 89,000 on the OD, and I drove it with no issues until floating off to the Army. It is still being driven today by the human I sold it to.

2002 Ford Taurus SE- Car I got after I got out of the Army. I bought it with 116,000 miles on it. Suspension was shot, had the same damn rust spot as the other Tauri on the back fenders, transmission shit out on me, misfires every so often due to spark plugs or coil pack, but what should I expect from an 02 ferd.

2012 GTI Autobahn- Bought it this past August with 13,000 miles on it. It was like upgrading to a Mercedes S class compared to my other vehicles.

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
1998 Chevy Blazer - Awesome. Lots of power and I lost my virginity in it.

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Pretty much made it into an off-road machine. Long travel - 4 link, if you know what that means. Stolen :(

1998 Honda Civic - I cut the springs. Hated it... Got like 100mpg THOUGH (doe is for retards)

2005 Toyota Tundra - Pantie dropper for sure. Black on black with leather interior. Lifted just right. Rolled it 3 times in the desert and for some reason they considered it totaled. Spent the night in jail

2007 Ford Ranger 4.0 - Nice little truck. Wanted to build it for off-road but it was red.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 - Awesome MPG for having a HEMI. San Diego to Vegas and back, 1 Tank. Legit truck in every way but needed 4wd.

1995 Ford F150 - Same deal. Wanted to build it but went in another direction.

Now...

2012 GTI - 14,000 miles and I want to sell it. BADLY

2007 Toyota Auris - P.O.S Corolla wanabee...I would love to destroy this car

2015 Golf 7 - Eh, I like the 6 better. Did I mention I want to sell MK6???????????????