GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paranoid Wheel Thread

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Ok guys, I know this is a newbie question, but I want to ask a bunch of people who probably know. In my car owning life (3 years) Ive never had a car long enough to replace the rims, however I just upgraded my rabbits wheels from the stock 15" hubcaps to 17" Anthracite goals. Anyways, the question stems from a noticeable mpg difference in the wheels. I know they got wider, and larger, but should I notice a 2-3 mpg difference or is it simply me driving quicker and not noticing it? Ive only had them installed for 3 days, 30 miles, so I think it may be just me driving quicker due to more confidence in my tires. Anyways, if its not normal, what are some other things I should check?

razr

+50 hp spark plugs
Its kinda impossible to even notice a change in mileage after only 30 miles?
And only 30 miles in 3 days. Wow. Some days I put 100 miles on my car.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Normally if i was driving to school im looking at 20 miles each way, per day. But on a serious note, when i drive from my house to my girlfriends, there are very predictable lights (all rights) and a 45 mph speed limit. Normally I average 29 mpg getting there. The two times Ive done it with my new tires, about 26.5-27.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
I am curious how you are measuring your MPG after only 30 miles. The gauge should barely move. Not that you should ever measure mpg by looking at the gauge. And the Rabbit doesn't come with the advanced trip computer, unless you have a rare one that does.

So you literally set your trip meter to 0 with the tank filled up, drove 30 miles, then refilled the tank and divided the miles driven by the exact amount of gas pumped on the second trip?

FYI on my Rabbit I have a lifetime average of 20.2 MPG and that takes into account about 98% of fuel-ups the car has had since 0 miles.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
I have the MFD? It gives me the Current and Previous Gas Mileage, isnt that normal? Is that computer normally off?

Like that, just normally when driving to my girlfriends house by the end of the trip it would be 30mpg, now it wont get above 27. Like I said all the lights are controllable because of right turns, no lefts, so its wierd. But ill wait, check if its my driving. But anyways, all rabbits have that right?

nah. id say most rabbits have the midline cluster where your screen is cut in half. you have the highline.

as for mpg, baby the car to squeeze out as much mpg as you can. if it doesnt go back to where it was, maaaaaaaybe it's the wheels. could always throw on the old ones if you still have them to see if it goes back to what it was.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Whats the difference between "midline" and "highline"? OR is the difference as mentioned earlier, the non-advanced trip computer?

JerGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
The wheels wouldn't likely be the issue but the tires MIGHT be. You obviously have new tires since your wheels are different sizes so that might be the problem.

Are they new? What kind? What did you have before? Etc....

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
your prob all excited about how kool your car looks with fancy rims and driving fast to show off.

In all seriousness you cant go off of that thing and 30 miles is imposible to get an accurate mpg

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
The wheels wouldn't likely be the issue but the tires MIGHT be. You obviously have new tires since your wheels are different sizes so that might be the problem.

Are they new? What kind? What did you have before? Etc....

I had 4 15" 195/65/15 Continental Pro Contacts with about 10k miles on them. Now I have 4 17" 225/45/17 Continental Pro Contacts brand new. And yah. Im assuming its just my driving. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

utekineir

Banned
because of emissions affecting how rich cars run while warming up and whatnot the mpg you're seeing most of those 30 miles aren't accurate to begin with.

let alone sample size and every other factor that can come into play.