GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting lowers - Processes

driverfound

Hey guys. I know there have been a few threads on this topic already, but I haven't found anything very useful. I'd like to have the lower valances on my RS GTI painted and I've got a quote for 700USD. That seemed high to me as people on here have been saying they've had it done for as low as 200USD. But as I understand it there can be several different processes for doing the painting, right? Some people say they just primed and painted, others have said they sanded first. The guy who gave me my quote said they prime, bake the pieces, and then do two coats of clearcoat - no sanding. Is this a better process or does everyone who has it done do this? Is it worth $700?

Oh yea, and I'm in Chicago. Thanks!

Jayhawker

Ready to race!
I am no bodyshop guy but $700 seems steep. Hell, for $700, you can get the Euro Votex sideskirts painted from Hillside for like $650 $ shipping. I would personally go that way.

JonGrace959

My Fast is Alive
Car(s)
2007 Speed 3
i dont think you want to have them baking your plastic... it does not sound like it is right

is this bad for the valences... i want to get myne painted all around. i makes it look like i got a body kit on. but i really dont want to pay thousands for a body kit so id rather get them painted.... oh an also im to lazy to search so can someone post a gti cw with huffs, with the sides painted.. but without lowering springs.. thanks:w00t:

driverfound

i dont think you want to have them baking your plastic... it does not sound like it is right

Oh, really? The VW dealer here has a partnership with the bodyshop that would be doing the job. They showed me a Toureg that was just done the same way and it looked pretty flawless. It's not so much that I have questions about whether it would look right, but more that I'm thinking the whole process could just be overkill and too much $. But I don't know anything about this body painting stuff...so I asked.

Hcliff

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Baking...not just for cookies.

It's a good thing that the shop wanted to "bake" the parts. "Baking" means the parts are in a booth that is heated to about 140 degrees F (less than if it was in Las Vegas in the summer sun) while a significant amount of filtered air is sucked through the booth. This allows the paint to adhere to the parts more effectively, therefore will last much longer than if not baked.

CalBoyTex

Banned
Car(s)
2006 GTI
thats way to much.. i gotmmine painted for 350 bucks.. i sanded myself. to save them time. thats my lip(aftermarket) sides and rear..