GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2181 CEL + Misfire

R1600Turbo

Ready to race!
Been an eventful couple days. Was less than a mile from home on Tuesday when the Coolant warning lit up. Got home and popped the hood, fluid everywhere, coming from what looked like the recently replaced water pump and thermostat. Had to have the car towed to the dealer. Long story short, the brand new thermostat I bought from ECS Tuning was defective right out of the box. The car had issues getting up to normal temp the minute I left the dealer from the original installation.

Apparently something wasn't fitting right and it built up enough pressure to cause a nice leak at the thermostat. ECS only offered to exchange the part, they refuse to pay for the labor. I basically told them to think twice about selling parts from manufactures that sell defective parts and we'll leave it at that. $290 later (with a discount) and it's back on the road and running perfect again. I know I can save money by doing this myself, but I don't have all the tools I need (I am a Japanese car guy, I don't have tools for German cars.....yet) and just don't have as much time as I used to.

Now that the car is running the way it's supposed to (save for the original timing chain tensioner at 72k miles....knock on wood) I can concentrate on getting the suspension installed I've had sitting in my garage for two months.

jmhageman7

2009 CC 170k; P2181 and misfires between 2500-3000rpm

I'm having very similar issue with my 2009 CC 170,000 miles. Everything seems fine except for misfires between 2500-3000rpm, especially in high humidity or after a rain. CEL P2181 will be on for a couple weeks then off for a couple weeks over the past year. Temp seems steady at 190*. It might warm up a little slow but nothing too noticeable.

So is the concensus to change the thermostat and the water pump (since you're already accessing the thermostat at that point)? I have already bought new spark plugs and ignition coils but I was holding off on putting those in until I figured out what was going on with the CEL P2181 cooling system code.

2009 CC (Passat) 2.0T TSI
170,000 miles
CEL P2181
Already replaced Engine Coolant Temp sensor.

Thanks everyone

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You can just do the thermostat if everything is ok.