GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: Melbourne Watch Out!

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
James is coming :wink:

I should be travelling to Melb some time during july, thinking of the 9th to the 12th... for an extended weekend!

Any advice on things me and my mates can do while we are there? Places to go, things to see? places to shop... night spots etc :thumbsup:

Fire away!

p.s if you have a teenage daughter, i suggest you make sure you know where she is that weekend :biggrin:

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
oh and to make it even worse im leaving for Melbourne this Thursday! :happyanim:

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Oh and Centrally located backpackers would be good aswell :)

DrK

Ready to race!
Definately get to the city mate. Lots of cool laneways to explore, worlds best coffee to be had - DeGraves Laneway between Flinders St and Flinders Ln a good start.
Head down Chapel St for a geeze at many a cock doing "Chap Laps" - and you'll get to see plenty of skirt too.
Fine dining - if that's ur thing - send me a PM. Plenty of that to occupy your time.
Going out - well... where do you start? If you like grungey cool bars - then head to Smith St or Brunswick St in Fitzroy. Trendy hi class bars are scattered all thru the city. And once again the good ol' Chapel St for a good mix - but i prefer the Windsor end myself...

That's a start - so see how you go!

faisan

Ready to race!
I recommend watching a AFL game at the MCG. Great stadium and great atmosphere.

For some good pasta, head down to Lygon St and have fun haggling with the restaurants there :)

Finally you gotta visit Bar20 and Mens Gallery too. Melbourne Mens clubs leave Perth clubs for dead!

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Haha, think the secondary request for backpackers would show that this trip is budgeted

so

Bars = Cheapest and easiest girls :biggrin:
Shops = english stuff, so like the stuff they sell in roger david... but better haha!
Food = no fine dining on this one i feel but thank you DRK :thumbsup:

Faisan, obviously you'v been to melb and perth, is there anywhere like northbridge over there? like a load of clubs located in one area... thats our sort of thing!

p.s what do you guys pay for a pint over there? not in a club, but in a normal pub/bar?

Lets say a pint of erm... well, just say what you drink and how much it is!

faisan

Ready to race!
Faisan, obviously you'v been to melb and perth, is there anywhere like northbridge over there? like a load of clubs located in one area... thats our sort of thing!

I think the closest thing to Northbride in Melbourne would be around the King St area. There are lots of sports bars, clubs, strip clubs etc around there.

I love Melbourne! Its favourite place in Australia after Perth of course :)

The cost of food and drink there isnt much different to Perth from memory.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Haha, apparently we just added a leg to the trip...

Sydney watch out aswell :biggrin:

My mod fund is fast dissapearing :cry:

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
Car(s)
gti mk5
hey, maybe you can hitch a ride on the drive this saturday.:thumbsup:

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
I think the closest thing to Northbride in Melbourne would be around the King St area. There are lots of sports bars, clubs, strip clubs etc around there.

I love Melbourne! Its favourite place in Australia after Perth of course :)

The cost of food and drink there isnt much different to Perth from memory.

Here here on the Melbourne bit...I've spent the best part of the last 3 years flying in and out of Melbourne on a weekly basis. (been a bit quiet the last few months tho')

I absolutely love the place.

I'm very familiar with the CBD now. lots of laneways for good coffee..and lots of little bars for drinkypoo's..and the food!!!

If its Pints you're after lots of English style pubs in the city... My regular is the Elephant and Wheelbarrow at the top end of town (funny I still can't nail the street sequencing unless I'm there)...from memory pints of Guinness are about 6.5 to 7.0... but they got Tetley's, Newcastle Brown and many others on tap as well...haven't been in there for a while tho' come to think of it.

Enjoy your weekend there James...I will not be there that weekend... as I 'll be attending the inaugural running of the Dunlop 400 in this fair city.:biggrin:

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
The Elephant and Wheelbarrow is located on the corner of Bourke & Exhibition Streets. Steak and Ale Stew $17.90....mmmm. Yum.

Melbourne is a marvellous city James. Soooo many choices.

There is a downside though. Just be careful with the nightlife. It can be a tad violent. A lot of angry young men with big egos, looking for trouble. Take care. :paddle:

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Bars = Cheapest and easiest girls :biggrin: - try Marquee in South Melb for cheap and easy
Shops = english stuff, so like the stuff they sell in roger david... but better haha! for good English fashion try Collins St in the CBD
Food = no fine dining on this one i feel but thank you DRK :thumbsup: plenty of Maccas dotted around the place

There is a downside though. Just be careful with the nightlife. It can be a tad violent. A lot of angry young men with big egos, looking for trouble. Take care. :paddle:

Generally .:R drivers :biggrin:

Androo

lolwut... ??
Oh jeez, look out sydney... :yikes: