GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Filter Size and Oil Spec

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the oil filter size of the 2015 GTI?

I know I can order one from VW, but I always used FRAM ultra.

For example the size of my work truck is "M22" which I could search for regardless of brand.

Also, I always used Mobil 1 and recently Penzoil Ultra Platinum.

In the specifications I am unable to find Vw 504 00/507 00. There are some other specs that are related to American cars on there, are any of those close to VW spec?

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
I think that the hate for FRAM filters is incorrect. FRAM extended guard filters which are now the Ultra line are very good. Spend some time over bobistheoilguy and at lot of members have used them for years in all makes of cars with good results.

That said, I can't defend the OCODs.

Though, given this is my first turbo charged vehicle and I'm sure the pressure may be different so I'll stick with the OEM filter to avoid any issues.

Beyond the filter, I did some further research and found that there are not too many oils sold that specifically list passing VW 502/504/507.

The manual also states that only 5w-30 or 5w-40 should be used.

I went ahead and changed my oil at 5k using the OEM filter and 5w-40 AMS Oil European formula.

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
We can go back and forth for eternity on this. I've had oil analysis's done.

I used the OEM filter(MANN) and AMS oil 5w-40 European formula with vw 502 spec.

I pulled it out at 5000 miles and the oil has already been sent over to Blackstone labs.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
No third party filters yet as I searched for quite awhile. I am sure they will pop up soon.

Easiest 502 oil to find is M1 0-40 or Castrol 0-40.

Also since you are on BITOG read up on this engine. There are several threads about the best VW spec oil.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
We can go back and forth for eternity on this. I've had oil analysis's done.

I used the OEM filter(MANN) and AMS oil 5w-40 European formula with vw 502 spec.

I pulled it out at 5000 miles and the oil has already been sent over to Blackstone labs.

When do you expect the results from Blackstone?

stamps_

Passed Driver's Ed
When do you expect the results from Blackstone?
I put it on first class mail so that will take a couple days and their site says they usually process it within a day or two of receiving it. Plus it is just after the holidays.

So maybe within the next week or two.

I'll be sure to share the results here.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Where can I get the oil filter (outside of dealer network)? What's the part number for 1.8 TSI US (generic search brings up stuff for all engine versions)?

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not directly related but wanted to ask and oil cap question. I see from pics of mk6 that the oil fill cap was located on top of engine and thru a hole in engine cover. In the MK7 pics I do not see the oil cap. Is it now under the engine cover? To add oil do you have to pop off engine cover? Sorry, I do not have my car yet to check myself. I was wondering about after market cap but if under the engine cover then no need. Thanks